Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've been at this a long time...28 years in career education. I learned a long time ago that grades were not the determining factor in graduate success. I found that students that were so consumed with perfect grades and attendance, and would challenge instructors who docked them a few minutes, or became especially "upset" over a grade less than 100 were not adaptable and took no ownership for what they did (or did not) do. I always work at getting our career services department to contact our graduates to come speak to classes or conduct mock interviews. We don't shoot for the top of the class, but those students that struggled themselves...childcare, transportation, personal issues, etc. They are the best ambassadors of the school. The ones that have succeeded, are the ones that allowed us in. I come from a similar background as many of our students, so telling my story to them early on has opened some doors that would have otherwise remained closed. Our successful instructors have also done the same...the ones that are willing to share their success stories are generally the ones that can reach those students that have so much baggage.

Mary,

Thanks for this well-written post. The students who struggled the most to make it are often the best role models for current students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

The students with positive HABES are usually our most successful. They belive in themselves and come in with positive attitudes every day. They have good study habits and try to help their peers study as well. I love that they do study groups.

The students that give up and don't believe in themselves and don't study are usually those that are not successful. There are many reasons why they don't study. Some work full time and just don't have the time, some have kids and don't have time, and some unfortunately are just lazy and don't want to.

There is a big difference in students with positive and negative HABES.

The HABEs that I have seen in the successful student is that of dedication and attentive to his/her education. These are the students who are not only here physically but here in class mentally and emotionally. They take pride into what they are learning and discussing within class. They take the opportunity to make sure they know the material as well as helping their classmates. These students put in the hours inside and outside of class. What separates these students from those that are not successful would be the level of dedication. I have noticed the unsuccessful students tend to believe school is a place for socializing inside of creating a better future for themselves.

The students who come with positive attitudes are often successful but it needs to be paired with the other HABEs. Many students don’t have self-expectations so they struggle when they hit the roadblock in this area. With low expectations their habits and at times their attitude seems to fade.

My observation would be that the more successful students have no doubt that they will succeed from the get-go. Some of them even have a business plan and are blowing through the course work as a means to an end - they would never not get their money's worth. It's a philosophy with them, and they usually have a good support network and adequate finances. Others who are less successful have little to none of the above, but at least when they come here some "successful thinking" is modeled for them, and I have seen it rub off to a good degree.

The students that I see that are most successful are the students that ask for help and the ones that confide in the staff once we have given them the attention=retention part of the interaction. The students that talk to us the most are the ones that do the best.

Rachel,

How do you approach students you know need help but do not ask for it?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I found that the students who succeeded were dedicated to their schooling. Even when they hit road blocks and it knocked them down they got right back up and continued on. A good bit of our students who hit these road blocks feel that it is the end of the world and just want to give up. I try to encourage them with my low moments and how I over came that hopeless feeling. It is so hard at times, but I always tell them that they are not alone and that "this to shall pass".

One of the most important things I see that separate the successful students from the non, is time management, we all have things distracting us from our goals but those who can plan around those things do best.

Vision and passion are two of the reasons students have been successful in my program. They have the drive, focus and expectation that they will succeed.

Habits: 1. Read without being told. 2. Study to know the information,not for a test. (I advise students to develop this habit.)

Attitudes: 1.This class or school is part of their path. 2. Hard work is needed.

Beliefs: 1.That he or she will do well in the class. 2. Nothing will can hold them back.

Expectations: 1.The teacher expects me to do well and work hard. 2. I expect me to do well and work hard.

It's unfortunate that we got away from Lou Tice here at BTi. It was so useful to our students in their self identification.

Sign In to comment