Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carol,

Thanks for this post. What are some of the toughest challenges students bring you?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Students that I have seen who are successfull have a "I can do it" attitude. They are more confident in themselves and their abilities to succeed. Others who are not as successful are not confident in their answers to questions or have a very positive attitude. They think that instructors are out to fail them.

I like to praise a student for a job well-done.
They will want to continue to work hard.

Bonita,

Praise, when sincere and earned, never gets old,

Jeffrey Schillinger

Linh,

What are one or two things you do to help students who do not already have these positve HABEs to develop them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I try to evaluate my students in respect to HABEs
and impress upon them the need to improve in areas lacking now in prperation for their career. As an example,a student who is having trouble getting to class on time. I work with them in evaluating how to correct the habit, to get as much out of the learning experience and to succeed in their career.

My successful students are those who seem to "work backwards" in the HABE's model. They have the expectation that they need to complete the course of study. Their belief in their ability to succeed is supported by their family and of course the instructors and staff. Consequently their attitude is they must do what is necessary to succeed. this results in them working to develop good habits (some students come to the school with good habits in place)to learn and matriculate.

I have noticed that my most successful student have a positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and a determination like no other. They are also receptive to constructive criticism. Praise goes a long way too.

Angela,

All of these things you list are keys to helping students develop self-esteem and coping skills.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I try to implement this praise method by saying " good question , great question, that is a a great question I see you're really critically thinking about this" " your already thinking like you've got the job, your going to make a great (health care professional)" I like to use small "what if " exercises to ask critical thinking questions about a performing a skill and a real life patient problem to teach the students how to address scenarios. i.e. taking a dental impression on a patient who is uncooperative. This gives them exercise in real life , there are no wrong answers just some better answers than others & the students can see how other people handle everyday issues that they will be faced with.I think it helps them feel excited about their future career & gives them belief in their ability beyond just the class work.

Being committed to learning and having a positive attitude are the strongest attributes I have noticed that seperate successful and unsuccessful students. I think having an instructor that continually encourages students can help bring about positive attitudes but the student has to be committed to learning/finishing their goal too!

Andrea,

The encouragement you reference can go a long way in reinforcing the original commitment that brought the student to school.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sometimes it is very hard to change negative HABEs but it makes all the difference. Lots of persistence is needed.

I agree! I have many students who I think come to school just to have "social time". Their breaks are more important than staying in lab and practicing when I offer! This is one of my most frustrating areas as an educator. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tammy,

There are no easy answers to things like this. Unfortunately, many students who are attending using funding from someone else, including Title IV loans, do not seem to realize they are wasting their investment until it is too late.

The most effective strategy is to plan and facilitate a compelling class meeting. Consider structuring the grading and sequence of activities such that being in class on time and staying until the end provides a tangible reward in terms of their grade.

One-on-one talks with habitual offenders can help. If that does not work, seek the support of your dean or campus to support your efforts.

Jeffrey Schillinger

One habit of successful students is that of finding a way to become involved in campus life. Student clubs and organizations, student employment, student government, service opportunities are just some ways students connect with their learning environment in a positive way. Students who are involved on campus generally retain at a higher rate than those who do not value co-curricular involvement.

Elizabeth,

Many career colleges struggle to get students to participate in these types of activities, especially if the campus is mainly a commuter campus. What are some ways your campus inspires adult students to participate in campus activities?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Attitudes with out a doubt affect your habits, beliefs and expectations. Attitudes determine your altitude. I think time spent mentoring and monitoring students will show you why their attitudes are the way they are. Being a positive role model will affect the students HABE's when done correctly.

Lee,

"Walking the talk" is extremely important when influencing attitudes.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that succesful studends are very goal oriented, passionate and positive thinkers. What separates successful students from other less successful one is the ability of the successful students to realize the areas of their education that may be challenging and to face it head on. Often my students that struggle in a particular area of the curriculum get better results by understanding that more focus must be placed on said materials.

Sign In to comment