Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good points, Lawrence.

I think it is important for teachers to know that some students just don't like to ask questions, or do not know what to ask. If the teacher takes the responsibility of asking the questions that the students should be asking, there is a chanece that even more students may be successful.

My most successful students have good homework and practicing skills, have a great attitude about their chosen profession, believe they will make a lot of money in their chosen profession and expect to complete the course in a timely manner.

Marliyn,

How do you develop these HABE's in the students that do not naturally pocess them?

Number one is the 'can do' attitude. This never fails the successful student. Most of the successful ones do not say 'I can't', they believe in themselves that they can do and have what it takes. I take pride in saying that we have these kinds of students and always weather the storm...no matter what!

A successful student comes to class everyday equiped with a mindset to learn and is engaged in the larning process. They complete assignments and actually read to text before class. Other students are inconsistent in their habits (studying, attendance, test perfdormance) and have a variety of excuses.

Their attitude is positive and they seek to gain something useful in every classroom experience. Other students might doubt that they can handle the workload while maintaining their family and job.

They believe that they will do well in the course and you tend to stand out from others in the class. Other student may display negativism in their mannerism and interaction with others.

They expect to receive good grades and definite believe that they will eventually graduate and obtain a job in their new career. They may make statements like "I'm going to failing this test,this course is too difficult, etc.)

Thanks, Earl. What are some of the things you do to help students who start out making statements like "I'm going to fail" turn their attitudes into the successful ones you described?

One way is to get them to look at what they have accomplished in their life. I would help them see how they may have been using the HABEs elements and get them to apply this mindset to new adventures.

HABE's that I see in my most successful students is their dedication to their work, and their study habits. These students I notice that even when they have the information, they still do more research to ensure they did not miss any potential information. Some of the students who are not as successful do not dedicate as much time to their school work. These students feel like seeing the information one time is enough.

I think the successful students possess strong study habits. They truly see themselves in a successful career--and believe they can accomplish their goals.

One particular student comes to mind. She is extremely drive, and despite a difficult pregnancy--and eventual bedrest, she was able to complete her courses online for a term--and even had her husband call us from the hospital in order to notify her teachers that she couldn't log in for a day or two due to giving birth!

She truly believes in herself and the potential for an amazing future! Wow, if only we could bottle this combination!

Karen,

Some students come to us with high levels of personal motivation and great study habits. I have had students duplicate the behavior you describe here.

What are some things you do specifically to help build study skills and increase motivation in students who do not have the same drive and skill as the student you described?

Most important is a willingness to do what it takes to accomplish their goals/tasks.

Eric,

What are some specific things you do to foster the development of this "willingness to do what it takes" in students that do not already come to with this attitude?

1. Have the student work backward. What is it they want from the education?

2. Where do they see themselves down the road with this degree?

3. What are the qualities of individuals already working in the field with this degree?

Socratic inquiry works well too.

Thanks for the feedback, Eric.

I have a similar approach - I have the student envision their goal, and where they want to be. Sometimes this can help them refocus and remember why they are going through the effort. For nursing students about halfway through their program, I play a video of nurses in action during the Hurricane Katrina disaster - they see the actions and efforts of the nurses, and it reminds them that in a few more months, if they continue to work hard, they will also be nurses.

Thanks for sharing this, Dee! This is a great strategy!

One main thing I see with our successful students is that they don't give up and they reach out for help when needed. The ones who drop out tend to struggle from day one....poor attendance from the start being the first clue. Making excuses is the other.

I think a non-supportive spouse/partner is a HUGE factor in dropping out. We do an interview with all new students and we talk about having a support system in place. (This also gives us a heads-up when a student does not have a good support system.)

You are absolutely correct, Sondra. Colleges need to be aware that the family influence, especially the spouse, is a major factor in persistence decisions.

Are there some specific things your college does to keep the family involved and supportive?

Thanks, Sondra.

What are some things we can do to inspire students who would not normally do so to reach out for help?

Sign In to comment