Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many of my successful students come from families that are supportive and successful in their own ways. These students have an open attitude about learning new things and are willing to try new experiences. They look at a glass "half full" instead of half empty" and are willing to see mistakes as learning experiences and not setbacks.
These students believe they are going to be in school to learn and graduate and have a better life, so their expectations are all geared toward achieving their goal of graduating and successfully completing their program.

I just finished a training course about student retention that emphasized using the positive to criticize.
Many students expect harsh criticisms when they make mistakes or ask "stupid questions". When they are praised, especially in front of their peers for insightful questions, promptness in submitting assignments, or even just being in class on time, they aspire to live up to your praise.
Human nature is such that we crave acceptance and praise from others, even when we don't realize it.

Esperanza,

People often react poorly when they feel they are being criticized. Finding ways to point out areas for improvement while helping students maintain self esteem is a key to building lasting relationships that lead to graduation. We used to look for ways to catch even the poorest students "doing something right."

Jeffrey Schillinger

Successful students have drive, motivation and a vision. They have the ability to be future oriented. Students that are not successful often have a lack of motivation or vision. Many people focus on the now and are unable to think about 10 years down the road. I believe that is a major difference between successful and unsuccessful students.

Many of our students that are most successful have strong support groups behind them. Their habits may not always be the best, but they are focused and committed. Their attitudes are most often ones lined with positivity and perseverance. A "can-do" attitude, if you will. Their beliefs are often similar to and contribute to their attitudes in where they believe they will succeed, come hell or high water. Expectations for our most successful students include a requirement of effort. They expect to have to study, sacrifice, make choices, commit to an education and being a full-time student for a period of time. Our most successful students are all in, communicate withe the school, and allow themselves to find a support group in faculty and staff, as well as those surrounding them outside of the campus.

I'm surprized and shocked that 85% of one's HABEs are shaped by age 3 and solidified by age 5.
My successful students have a positive attitude and belive they can succeed. They have good study habits.They know they will be successful. They embrace the HABEs.

Gordon,

What are some ways you inspire students to develop more effective HABEs?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have seniors in their 6th and final term of a rigorous nursing program. They have made it this far by utilizing time management, positive study habits and consistency with course work and attendance. At the beginning of the term I provide each student with a "carrot" ornament to hang from their car visor. I encourage them to persist with positive self-talk, a belief in their ability to finish, and to "keep their eyes on the prize" of a successful nursing career.

Maggie,

Typically, students who are in their last term do not need much in terms of motivation or direction. Are there specific challenges that they students present that one may not find in a group of brand new students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Absolutely! They have a very specific task-list to help them prepare them for the predictor they must pass in order to graduate. Some are fearful of not passing that (and missing out on their "dream"). The ultimate task is to keep them positive with a belief that they can succeed while motivating them and monitoring their progress. Having worked both with new start students and end of program students, I think the challenges are similar, in many ways. Both are under a lot of pressure!

Their vision/goals are more real to them then the unsuccessful students. As a result they are more likely to seek help, explore more cretive ways to overcome barriers to success (study groups, carpools, using campus coaching resources).

Maggie,

Thank you for this post. What would you say is the biggest difference between experienced and new students relative to how you interact with them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

James,

Nice post. Thanks. What are some specific things you do to help the students who do not already have the "correct" HABEs to develop them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

There are so many differences! I believe that the "biggest" difference is that new students have to learn the culture of professional nursing, and develop HABEs that will support success in their nursing education. The experienced students are at the program end because they have developed the HABEs that promoted success as a student. Their challenge is to begin to transition those HABEs to their role as a novice nurse. We use a lot of case studies and critical thinking questions to help them visualize this transition. We pay a lot of attention to emotional intelligence, as well.

Maggie,

Greta post. Thanks. You provided some specific ways to help students develope these HABEs.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Students that are successful in our programs have the habit of coming in everyday to ensure they meet attendance requirements. They possess a positive attitude towards instructors, peers and their chosen course of study. The successful student has a strong belief that the education they are receiving will provide them with a more fulfilling career. Students who are successful avoid negative expectations. In doing so they can eliminate the chance of self fulfilling prophecies that could reduce their chances of completing their program. They focus their energy on finishing their program so they can realize their belief in a better career.

There are some students that always come to class with positive attitudes, and those same students are usually the ones voted by the other class mates for awards.

Generally speaking the students that I have encountered that are more successful and persist are students who are mature in the sense that they have clearly thought out, planned and have demonstrated the habits to be successful. They are aware of the expectations of the program, faculty and the difficulty of reprioritizing time when returning to school. I think the students that have a clear vision, short-term and long-term goals, and that can identify the steps they will take in order to achieve that goal can be successful.

Thank you for this post, Seth.

What are some ways you help students who do not already have these HABEs to develop them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Tabitha,

Positive attitudes are easy to leverage. Changing negative or neutral attitudes to positive attitudes is much more difficult. How do you attempt to do ths?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment