Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Successful students often have an outside support system that provides the positive focus the student needs. Often, we need to build a support here on campus for those students who do not have any outside support. This can be challenging when outside influences see no value in what the student is trying to accomplish. We strive to be all things to these students to help them stay on course toward the goal they think/thought was so important. Often, we are fighting with the mind of a student who has given up - we work to help them see how changing their belief in themselves can make all the difference. Some of these students try their education 2-3 times before they are successful. We celebrate the victories one student at a time! Graduation is such an emotional time for all stakeholders.

Your comments on successful characteristics of successful students is very helpful. Besides showcasing examples and lead by example do you have other strategies for infusing for effective HABE's in students?

Sarah,

Thanks for this post. Positive thoughts are the key.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Dennis,

Modeling and mentoring are key. I have also found getting new or struggling students to sit and talk with students who have overcome the same challenges works very well.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Flexibility is an important part of success, since things don't always go according to plan, or more specifically, YOUR plan. Perseverance is critical; being willing to slog through the tough spots, and keep going. And, having a human side, where you are willing to lean on someone when needed, and provide a shoulder or a leg up for someone else.

Donna,

I look for teachers who know the class is about the students and not about the teacher. Far too often, teachers create policies or requirements that are more suited to making life easier for them rather than having student success as the top priority.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that having group activities seem to encourage and motivate those that are not so sure of themselves.

The students that have the positive attitudes always seem to do better. They are engaged in their studies, homework, lab and tests. They are also the ones that are harder on themselves when then do not do as well as usual. I does not bring them down though. They keep working and striving to be the best. I always try to bring out the best I can in every student. It is difficult, but the longer I have the student with me the better the chance I have to change some of their negative feelings into positive ones.

Teri,

What are some specific things you do to get students who do not show up with a positive attitude to develop a positive attitude?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I try to find something positive to say or praising an assignment goes along way with improving student's habes. This includes my C and D students. If I see disappointment on my D students faces I offer tutoring or try to offer suggestions for improvement.

Evangeline,

Thank you for this post. Too often we just write the low grade on the top of the page without thinking about how a kind encouraging word can mitigate the impact of the low grade.

Jeffrey Schillinger

they have this "can do" attitude and don't let anybody tell em otherwise. Its infectious sometimes.

Anthony,

Thanks for this post. What are some specific things you do to help foster that attitude in students that do not already have it?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The students who arrive focused and know the why find it easy to develop the how. Kids are a big one which helps many people keep focus on the why.

It is always amazing to me how unprepared so many students are when they start our program. The students are so surprised at the amount of time which is required to study to succeed. Many step up to the challenge and then there are others who have the HABE’s which are not so positive who need more support to keep it going to the end.

Allison,

Thanks for this post. Perhaps the faculty should get together with the Enrollment team to ensure the campus' orientation program paints a more clear picture.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I can't believe that most HABE's have set in by age 5!

My best students turn in their homework on time, if not early. They come early to class and will often stay late to get in extra study time with me. The students that have these good habits are the ones who will score higher on their tests than those that do not.

I feel it is easier to help those students with bad habits than it is to help those with "negative attitudes."

Elisa,

Some might say that adopting a negative attitude is a selected HABE that can be changed. How might one do that?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Some of the HABEs that I see in my most successful students are attentiveness, class participation, and timeliness. I have noticed that the less successful students tend to be off task more than others and frequently tardy or absent.

Shanika,

Thanks for sharing. What are some specific things you do to try to build better HABEs in the students who come to you with less functional HABEs?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment