Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We do a power point and show a movie that addresses all the challenges the students might have and shows how to address them.

One thing that we do, is bring in students that graduated or that are ahead of the orientation class. This is so the new students can agknowledge and overcome some challenges that have already been overcome. Seeing someone else finish what you started, can help you overcome any fear about that event.....just do it !!

Open question forum one on one or within the group on everyday of orientation

Stelian,

I agree....alumni or senior students are highly credible and inspiring!

Susan Backofen

During our orientations, students are broken into small groups and given a tour of the building. Chefs are stationed in several kitchens providing "working demonstrations" of food that students can expect to prepare while enrolled in school. This example provides a clear expectation and allows actual instructors to visit with students before they enter classes. Their minds are somewhat at ease after the personal attention and it prepares them for the firs day of classes.

Ou school will have an orientation session that includes faculty,staff and students. Our Lamplighter students participate in the orientation. These are specially picked students of good academic standing that take an active role in the orientation program. It helps to get students involved to engage the incoming students.

The fear of the unknown. We expose the students very early in the program of what is coming up in the near future.
We utilize all resources to get the message through as in; Power points, graduated students that got jobs, show the lab..... everything helps take away the fear when you have a clear picture of your future

Students are given a thorough orientation of the program. Ice breaker activities are utilized in an effort to make students feel at ease. Designated speakers discuss resources which may be available.

At this point I attend the orientations and introduce myself and discuss how excited I am that have chosen our school to help them in their success. I also discuss rules and expectations and answer any questions they may have.

Mark,

Excellent! I really like that you have the chefs there doing a demonstration. I am sure this gets the students excited about what they will learn.

Susan Backofen

Mary,

Using current or former students is really an advantage. Students relate much more readily to them. How do you choose your Lamplighter students other than academic standing? Do you provide any sort of training for them?

Susan Backofen

My students come to me after being together for 12 weeks. So I ask them to tell me about the person sitting next to them.
I ask them to ask me questions they may have about me. I also ask them to tell me what they think they're going to see in class.
So the idea for me is establish a rapport, I also make it perfectly clear that in our classroom there is no such a thing as a dumb question and that laughing at other's questions is not tolerated.

We have an open door policy. If there is a student that is perceived to be at risk, the instructors communicate that with me. We will make time for that student to discuss any concerns.
Also at orientation, they commonalities between students are mentioned, i.e. "We know that education can be a struggle, some more than others, Single parents, first one in family to get an college education" and so on. It hits home to many of the students that we understand.

I'm afraid I cannot provide an accurate answer. I have never participated in a student orientation program for a couple reasons: (1)I am an instructor who is on-campus for scheduled classes, office hours & tutoring hours and rarely am informed of such activities; and (2) when I have become aware of them, it is usually on the same day as the orientation which means I have a time conflict due to being on campus for 1 of the 3 items mentioned in (1).
Notifications for such orientations are sent to the campus e-mail but, as I only get access that account while on campus, the notification is received either the day of the orientation, or sometimes after it has already happened.

Alex,

What a wonderful intro to have them talk about people they are sitting next to in class...that encourages them to continue to build relationships with their peers.

Susan Backofen

Margaret,

And you do that in a very non-threatening way by just saying it out loud without having them speak up!

Susan Backofen

During my orientations, I want to make sure students feel comfortable communicating issues with me. I clarify any questions, fears, issues and want to be available to help in any way possible. Showing them individual respect.

In our program we will have a time for all incoming students to meet the students getting ready to graduate. Everyone is teamed up randomly and the new students have the opportunity to ask questions and share fears they may have concerning the program. This gives our seasoned students an opportunity to share their successes and struggles during their time at the school. It also gives the newbie’s the chance to see solutions to issues that they may experience and instills confidence as they enter into their career program.

After our introductions, I like to share some of my personal experiences from when I was in their shoes. I recall looking at my instructors and feeling like they had it all together. It was nice to be able to relate to them a little and when they would tell stories about their experiences that seemed much like what I was living it made my situation seem not so hopeless.

Allison,

I really like how you give the graduating students time with the incoming ones. Excellent!
Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment