Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The only time I have to make a call to the student(s) is when my instructor is out on leave or a number has been disconnected and the instructor do not have any other contact. My instructors perform well on this task, because in my stand up meetings, this issue is discussed and they will receive a write up on their daily tasks.

Keep positive.
Get to know my students and let them know that I care,
Make them feel welcome.

spend more time learning about my students, have more open discussions, be a student advocate

Develop a relationship with the student at the very beginning of the program.
Follow-up with them at least once every two weeks to ensure they do not need assistance
Praise and give advise to students on a regular basis.

1. Include study skills and stress management skills in all first-quarter classes.
2. Create more opportunities for students to feel like they belong in the college community, both inside and outside of class.
3. Create a trainig session with admissions and academic departments to make sure both departments are on the same page.

How did the suggestion box work out?

The personal connections we make on a daily basis helps to retain retention. If we can reach them on a personal level shows them we actually are taking an unterest in their lives as well as school.

Hello Professor Kroh,

Let me first begin by saying that I am really enjoying this course and have learned so much along the way!

The firt step I will be taking to improve retention is to continue and make phone calls each time a student is absent. I can't tell you how much this means to them when you are taking the time out of your day to find out why they couldn't be in class. It makes them feel important and 9 times out of 10 they come back to class the next day.

The second step I plan on taking is trying to incorporate the team work aspect of my class better so the students can encourage each other to come to class each and every day. I feel that the positive re-inforcement from each other goes a lot further than when it is coming from the instructor. Sometimes they need to hear it from someone else in order for the point to resinate. I was even thinking about having a friendly team competition. Maybe the group who has the best overall attendance at the end of the block would get a special award or prize.

The third step I will take is to break down the barriers that often exist between departments. The entire institution is responsible for the overall success of the student. Everyone needs to be involved to ensure that the student will succeed and graduate. From admissions, to career services, the President's office and beyond; I feel that everyone needs to communicate with each other concerning the status of our students.

Maybe a student has a speical bond with their admissions rep and the best way to help them is to get that person involved.

Follow up on all situations (positive & negative). We tend to (or I've witnessed) student complaints with what seems to be a resolution. I notice we tend not to follow up when the student doesn't come back assuming it's been rectified because they're still attending. Daily clearance meetings with instructors & teaching assistants - these quick meetings would entail how the class went, any concerns, etc. Making a board with all of administations photo, name & department. This will help with point of contact and establishing relationships.

Jason, occasional team attendance competitions can be quite effective, but students may tire of them if done every academic period. Or worse, they may shun students who have poor attendance. Do you allow for "approved" absences like doctor's appointments?

Loren Kroh

1. I will work every day at making class content interesting and relevant.
2. I will actively solicit suggestions from the class for drills and other practice material and urge students to bring recorders to class for home practice.
3. I have a good rapport with the more out-going students in class, but I will reach out to the quieter ones and try harder to establish a relationship.

Getting to know one personal item about the student. let them know that you are here for them to teach, guide & help direct to to proper dept. or person as needed. Be available to just listen to their aspirations & hopes for the future and give them encouragement

Step One: Student counseling for academic progress; Step Two: Referral system by instructors regarding student performance to appropriate staff; and three: E-mail system is being designed to keep students informed of school activities, posting of homework and advice of instructors where applicable.

For every student, I will handwrite, or type when applicable, personal notes of encouragement on their homework assignments. Our students need support and validation.

Because my students are administrative professionals, we will celebrate Administrative Professionals day with a cake and course-related games and activities on April 25th. (They don't know it yet).

At the end of the course, we have presentation of awards: Spelling Bees, Perfect Attendance, and Dean's List. We also follow up the course final with a movie or karaoke. Students really do need to feel appreciated and have an opportunity to defuse after stressful events.

I too make it a point to remember every students name. There are those rare moments when I call a student by the wrong name. When that happens the student is automatically rewarded 5 points...Students can't wait to pounce on that one.

Taryn, sounds like you run a very lively classroom. I bet the students enjoy coming to class.

Thank you! The truth is it ties back to motivating the students. I found out that students are motivated by activity, rewards, and friendly competition.

Ultimately, I am fortunate to have a class that understands the team atmosphere. I encourage the students to be supportive of one another. Even more than Career Services, the student assistant program, and other campus departments, my students are my greatest resource for helping other students.

If I can't bring a student back to class, chances are one of my students can. If I AND another student can't bring someone back to class...then the chances have increased that I've lost him.

After you've done all can, you still should follow up with students who have left. The follow up responses show you care. If students see that they may decide to reinstate when their situations improve.

The first thing will do is to determin what is the actual problem.
Engage the student in a private setting to ensure their is an actual problem or is it a percieved problem do to the lack of involvement.
Once the problem is defined it is necessary to get the student to accept the proposed plan of action that will ensure his chances of finishing the course sucessfully

1) I will continue to build and maintain a great rapport with my students,particularly the ones who seem hardest to reach.
2) I will send out a "blinker" email immediately if any student is absent for 2 days or more.
3) I will make sure my new students are aware of all the resources that are available to them.

Take the students on field trips, have several guest speakers come in, have more inclass hands-on activities

Sign In to comment