Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Your Career Services | Origin: CS101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Setting Up an Effective Career Services Department --> Your Career Services

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've learned that we need to provide specific resources to assist students with creating a resume, as well as cover letter,  and strengthen our career readiness plan.

I have learned that an established, updated, and well maintained Career Service Department (CSD) is necessary to benefit both current students, alumni, and business and industry stakeholders.  I appreaciate the list of services a CSD should offer and will use them as a guide to develop a CSD to high school students in my district. 

I learned that we need to set up our career services where we post jobs. I am in a high school setting and we currently don't post jobs for the students. I usually go to the instructor to find candidates.

I  learned that finding out the needs of  the individual student  is key and giving them the resources to be successful in finding employment is monumental to accompishing their goals.

It is so improtant for us to know which programs need different strategies - find out which programs would benefit from externship and what types of job fairs would help others. 

Establishing a resource library is a must to get students and graduated to be engaged in the Career Services Department. Creating seminars or workshops on resume building, developing, or expanding one's network, salary negotiation, and interviewing etc. is a great way to prepare students or graduates for their career after graduation. Essential offerings by the institution should be career fairs, internship, or externships in the idea of promoting or securing employment outcomes for students or graduates.

This area of the course made me realize that I should start offering additional resources and workshops a lot more often. If I take the extra time to teach them in many different area of the job search process it will better prepare them and will minimize my my work in the long run.

I learned the importance of having a variety of job searching and networking resources for students. In my current role, I serve students who are conducting specialized job searches within the field of allied health so this lesson has helped me consider their needs. 

I learned that it's important to know what programs need an internship or externship 

I learned about the importance of building a job resource library, to make it available to students, and what are some good resources it should contain.  I learned about the importance of Job Fairs and various types of Career Workshops on various topics that will help the student their job search.  Some example are resume writing, interview, networking, and salary negotiation.

I have learned that it is important to provide effective workshops that prepare students for the professional work environment. These courses should last between 4 to 5 weeks.

The Career Services Department may want to reinforce the notion that getting a great job takes work.

It's important to involve stakeholders in the wide variety of services needed for students - making those connections for internship/externships, building job readiness skills, involvement in professional organizations will all be helpful for student success and growth.

It is a good idea to set up a comprehensive career services library.  Students need the opportunity to learn relevant and time sensitive information the workforce. 

I learned that it's up to the institute to see what they are willing to provide for their students. The Career Services department has so many different tools like workshops, internships, externship programs, guest speakers in the industry, and virtual job fairs. By giving the students so many different tools and resources will help the students and outcome report succeed!

Its important to have a career services menu so students can pick what training and skills they need depending on what they want to do. 

I have learned that job search workshops are highly effective. Bringing in area employers to speak to the students graduates and alumni. Posting job openings and creating a job resource book for students to begin their personal job search are all great tools.

Job search is essential to every student and participant. Job Leads help them as Career Services are an extra set of eyes for their Job Search. Best part of Job Leads is that there can be a direct connection with the recruiter or HR manager. With today's digital age Job Search is much easier because you can look at multiple job postings at once. Best way to let the student/participant know about Job Search Assistiance is that we are an extra set of eyes in their Job Search and will assist them in finding their next job.

I’ve learned that it’s important to provide a variety of resources for our students to help support them in their growth towards employment post graduation.  It’s also important to stay current with the needs of business/industry in our area as well as build partnerships to provide our students with as many opportunities as possible. I think it’s also important to keep the needs of our current students in view as we plan our programming; so not to miss what this particular cohort may need.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities