Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that the Career and Service department needs to stay proactive.  They should not only be helping with resumes but looking and/or having job fairs.  They should be making sure to find postitions for externship and internships.  The Career and Student Service department should be treating each student separetly and creating with them their own job search.

I learned that is is important to be able to provide a list of serives to students. That being said, letting students become aware of these serices early on will help them feel confident in their job search.

I learned that its important to host workshops informing students about negotiating and interviewing skills specificlally. 

The need for Individual, Job Search is important because it makes the student feel like less of a number and more of an individual knowing that Career Staff is willing to take the time to sit with them and listen to their career aspirations and then try their very best at assisting them so that it make come to fruition.

I've learned that community involvement helps strengthen the career services department and what it can offer with regards to opportunities. Also, the earlier careers services begins working with students, the better the possible outcome.

I've learnt that a Career Service Department (CSD) should develope a comprehensive Library to provide important tools for students and staff. Newspapers, professional journals, industry updates, online resourse materials and job postings should be available in this library. Job search workshops are essintial in teaching students and staff how to set goals and ubjectives and how to achieve their success. How to create attractive resumes and cover letters, how to network youself, how to sell yourself and how to be successful in interviews. The CSD should host job fair and have relatable speakers to specific careers to speak with persons on the above topics. Job openings, internships and externships should be provided to students for them to have options. and a personalised website can be created for students tp post their resumes for potential employers to have access to

We can impliment more workshops and job fairs at our institution and ensure that out library is up to date.

Students will respond when they feel we have their best interest in mind.  Ways to achieve this to provide the necessary tools needed to set them up for success.  Having employers on site providing presentations, job fairs, teaching and helping students through the job search maze, providing resumes assistance, interview skills, and showing them how to write a followup email will go a long ways to setting a student up for success and them allowing you to be a part of that success.

Ive learned thats its important to provide a wide varienty of resourses for your students. Including partnerships, job fairs so the opportuninties for students once they gradutate are not of resourse to them.

Since our certificate course is only over the span of 4 weeks, I will now follow up with each student on a weekly basis, guiding them through the selection of potential future employers. By providing them with key questions for themselves to narrow their criteria and important questions to ask to potential future employers, to enable them to do their due diligence and make an educated decision. A list of key questions directed towards the industry they are being trained for, will give the individual a better sense of a daily routine and requirements, income potential and benefits. This type of guidance will allow the individual to better prepare for their interview and well as employer selection. Our objective is to place a student with an employer, where the recent graduate is happy with their employer selection, as well as the employer being happy with our recent graduate and their performance on the job.

We have at least one company representative/recruiter per week come to our school.

They inform students what their company is about, the type of pay-scale they can expect and what a day on the job will entail, etc.

Students have an opportunity to ask their questions and get an insight what different companies have to offer. It's a great way to get an individual introduced to local and national companies and help them with their decision making, where they may be best suited.

specific resources that will meet the needs for everyone 

I learned that it is very important to have resources available for our students so that post graduation they are able to feel confident going out into the work force. It is important to have up to date information as well, every day you see different criteria that must be met, technology updates, different resources..etc. It is best to be able to provide up to date information to also make it easier for job searching. 

It is important to offer a full array of career services. Career planning begins when student enters the college. Educating the students on career planning and development will allow them to strategically plan their career pathway for a successful entrance into the workforce.

I learned that is important to have a resource for students that outlines all of the services offered within the department and a timeline for when they have access to these services. 

Career Services are not only important to students but to graduates as well. Keeping in contact is beneficial not only to the institution but also the graduates to assist them in finding that job that is suited for them and what they are looking for.

I learned that hosting employers in a career fair can foster relationships between the school and industry stakeholders. These partnerships can lead to collaborative initiatives, such as guest lectures, mentoring programs, or industry-sponsored projects, enriching the learning experience for students and enhancing the school's reputation within the healthcare community. Employers attending the career fair may actively recruit students for internships, part-time positions, or full-time jobs. This direct engagement increases the chances of securing employment and provides a platform for students to showcase their talents and abilities.

I learned that a center can provide a wide range of services. Previously, we were advised to identify the scope of services and this leads me to consider what is genuinely feasible at this time in my center's development. It is impossible to be all things to all people and with limited resources the opportunity costs need to be weighed and decisions must be made.

From this module, I've learned that it is important for Career Services department to offer a variety of services to all individuals so thay they are well prepared for the job search process.

Job's workshops are very important, different employers can come and talk to students and this allows students to chose the job a career they really want.

I learned the importance of having resources to help both students and staff be informed of jobs available.  I also see the importance of gaining experience through resources to help with resume writing, networking and other job search skills to enrich students to make decisions about employers and how to work to be successful.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities