Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Remember to tell students "what to do" instead of, "how to do it"

I learned how to approach students with disabilities since it is completely ok to acknowledge any physical abilities only if the questions pertain to how classroom instruction will be given.

It is important not to stereotype or discriminate people with disabilities. You can not assume what the disability is. Accommodation and respect is the key to treat these people equally. 

Congress estimated that there where 57 million people with disabilities in 1990 which developed the Americans Disability Act (ADA). However, the interesting component is that more votes of higher majority came before Legislation than any other bill in 50 years. 

As with the rest of the continuing education module, this section continued to be though provoking on where "the line" is between appropriate and inappropriate, legal and illegal. 

Exit Criteria should not be referred to when establishing Entry Criteria.

I learnt to treat all our students the same even those with disabilities. Treating them with respect and care making sure not to discriminate . not to ask personal questions as to about their disability .

My role is to make sure that students know that disability accommodations are available to anyone who needs/qualifies for them. My job is also to work with the student to submit a accommodations request to the proper channels. 

Being kind and treating all our students with respect and care is key.

Comment Comment

Be open and honest and don't use the student's disability against them. Present the information and let them decide.

So thankful that we are focusing on students as PEOPLE and not just as those with disabilities. I learned about how to check my faulty thinking to encourage all to pursue their full potential. 

My role is to not being mean to people with disabilities and be a better person with them.

Remember to see the student, and not their disability. It is not up to you to determine whether or not a student with a disability is able to meet a physical standard, but you may present the student with what the requirements for that standard are/look like, and the student may decide if that is something they can meet.

Treating a student with disabilities with the same kindness and respect you would treat any student is important to ensuring a good experience for all involved parties. 

An Admissions Representative's job is to use discretion and provide the student with the information to make an informed decision on their future.

I am the disability accommodation coordinator at our school although I work with several others as a team. What comes to my mind when taking this course is the training our admissions staff will need to effectively work with incoming students.

I feel it is my role to be fully informed on ways to best assist my students or future students. We all face obstacles in life.

The role of everyone on campus or in an institution when working with people with disabilities is to be respectful, discreet and helpful. This does mean connecting the student with the office designed specifically to help people with disabilities, but it also means not using biases or prejudices when working with students with disabilities. Every student is at a place of higher education for the same reason - to learn and further their goals. Never assume you know what those may be. 

I didn't think about people with disabilities really want to be known for their abilities.   As a society we need to view people with disabilities in a more broad viewpoint than how they present

It was important to know the peculiarities around admission process for individuals with disabilities, and when and how is appropriate to address disability to get accommodation.

Sign In to comment