Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Seth Soronnadi

That "The statutes only grant a legal right to protection from discrimination on the basis of disability. We guard disability-related information carefully because if it is shared too broadly, or in the wrong context, it can easily lead to illegal discrimination

My role is to make sure that the student understands what is expected of them for the program they may be taking. If they have questions about their disability interfering they would need to speak to an advisor. This is not my role as an instructor. I have know idea what the schools rules are for full accomodations.

GWard

It is a helpful reminder, and something to discuss with my teams, that you should not shy away from conversations about concerns within the industy of study for the student and the obvious disability- such as a student in a wheelchair interested in enrolling in a Criminal Justice program. 

Respecting all students and by treating students with disabilities like everyone else make them feel more included than anything. It is very frustrating for students who have disabilities to always be treated as having a disability. 

My role as an instructor is largely to guide the student to the appropriate resources.

Reply to Negy Aquino's post:People are people. We all want to be treated the same. Don't overstep my boundries. Get the correct people involved.

You should not treat any of the students with or without a disability any different. By you treating a disable student different than a non-disabled student you can be adding to there disability in a different way, the last thing you would want to do is to make that student feel even more disable than they are, treat them as you would treat anyone else not any different or pitied.

You should treat a disabled student the same way you would treat a non-disabled student. Thay is what most disabled people want not to be treated different but to be treated equal to evertbody else. If they disclose that they are disable or ask about accomidations you should take an intrest and direct them to the proper personal thet can handle and answer there questions and needs.

My role is to make sure that students are connected with the paperwork for accommodations, the committee hears it and responds. It is vital in this case to connnected and communicate.

In this section, I learned about the application of the rule prohibiting pre-admission inquiries to protect the student and school.  

Indeed! 

this can be challenging

I have learned that we should not talk to students about their history with their disability. I should keep conversation with student with disabilities the same as I would with all other students. 

I also learned to direct students to the school's disability services officer to develope reasonable accomodiations. 

I learned that my role would be to treat them equally and point them in the right direction. Discrimination based on a disability could face charges.

Students with disabilities should feel that they have the same educational opportunities as all student's.  However, they should not feel like they are being treated any differently because they ask for a specific accomidation.  

This section made it very clear that you must be careful and diligent about the role you play, and the role you do not, when it comes to disability support. Do not promise accommodations nor share information that a designated disability liaison is more prepared to triage and answer. Also, its important to know that an institution cannot ask about disability during the admissions process and to focus on technical standards of performance instead. 

Know the system in place at your institution so you can direct people with disability to the designated person.

Everyone just wants to be treated with the same respect and gain the same education as everyone around them, it is our responsibility as educators to make sure that even those with disabilities are getting everything equally. Sometimes it may take us providing extra necessities for those with disabilities to be able to succeed more but it is also important that we do not give them more than our other students when it comes to assignments or tests. We also do not need to talk in any different manner only because they have a dissability.

Treat all students with respect and compassion

Considering limits sounds like one of the more delicate and challenging parts.  It would be very easy for a well meaning person to come across the wrong way in speaking with a student.  

Sign In to comment