Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Institutions are required to describe what they consider Directory Information and give students the right to opt out of releasing such information publicly.

Students records and confidentiality are extremely important. 

What I understand this section to be about is the proper method to maintain student records within the institution and as a individual  faculty member. It is important to know who actually has access to student records and when a student is able to amend what is stated within the records.

Very informative Module, .FERPA makes complete sense, it  inform us  importance of keeping students information and records  confidential.

In this module I have learned that Educational Institutions are required to provide annual notification to students and written permission is required to disclose students' educational records, with some exceptions.  I also have learned that in case of student request to access their educational record, the institution has 45 days to comply with requests to access educational records.  As well as only those with a legitimate educational purpose should have access to any specific Educational Record.

I totally agree this module on FERPA was very interesting it explains clearly how a student's educational records is to be maintained, protected and stored. Faculty must protect their students' privacy by being personally accountable.

From the course I can have a better understaninf of inforation that is for thew student and faculty.  It sllows me to learn who can hae access and how we need to allow inforamtion to be given to only allowable individuals.

Frank Hoban

My feeling as an online instructor, I do not share any information about a student unless it is an offical of the college. I will not even share a letter from the student to anyone unless it requires to go to their Dean. I will leave this up to the officals at the college. I do want to violate FERPA laws.

It is very important that we treat student records carefully, and be careful about what we do with them. Confidentiality is everything. 

I learned about the notes aspect - if it is written in a student's record, then it's part of that record and they have the right to know what it says. Honestly, as educators, we should be willing and open to sharing such comments with students directly (when offered opportunity) so the need for "secret" notes shouldn't exist anyway!

FERPA helps to protect student's rights and the officials that can give out information about students is limited to certain officials. 

Qnly those with a legitimate educational purpose should have access to student records.

Interesting to note the differences between what a student officially has access to and how that is determined depending on allowances by student, family, or staff.

I learned that FERPA is a very important federal law that ensures the privacy of students' educational records The Family Education Rights and. Students have specific, protected rights when it comes to the release of such records, and FERPA requires institutions to strictly adhere to these guidelines. FERPA is a federal law that is administered by the Department of Education's Family Compliance Office. It is intended to provide students' access to their academic records and An opportunity to request that the records be amended.

Back when I was in college (many moons ago) instructors would post midterm grades on his office door. Students' names were on the list. Thanks to the FERPA law this practice is now illegal. It is vitally important to protect students confidential academic information, just as it is important to protect health information, which is addressed by the HIPPA law.

It is easey to violate FERPA if you don't know the rules.

my take away is the importance of keeping a students information available only to those who are allowed to view it and who the student as agreed to share it with

FERPA is necessary.

Privacy and confidentaility are the rights of every citizen. It is important to follow FERPA laws. This is the responsibility of everyone.

Educating ourselves in FERPA makes us be more cautious and protective of our student's records. Knowing what is allowed to share and whatnot.  The importance of getting a written consent prior to releasing or discuss any student information.  

Sign In to comment