Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I gained understanding of FERPA - actually will ask prior to allowing any student access to records !

My key takeaways  include:

FERPA protects the student privacy and records for unwarranted access but gives the student the right to access their own record as needed. 

There are ramifications for unlawful access of records with a variation of sanctions to promote enforcment of the rules and polciies.

Student's and authorized persons may contest contents of the academic record and the school will responds to such contests within 45 days.

So far we have reviewed the importance of FERPA and the preservation of privacy of any student's confidential educational documents. Also the importance of following the proper procedure as per FERPA laws in order to insure our student's information is protected.

In some ways FERPA is similar to HIPAA. The student information should be protected and you should only have access on a need to know basis. If you are making personal notes about a student, then make them factual with personal comments or that show a bias. This way if a student requests to review their records, there are no surprises.

When it comes to phone calls and giving out information, it is like is stated, you really do not know who is on the phone. Social media is another area where the rules may need to be updated to protect the students. 

Treat all student information as confidental

FERPA is comparable to HIPAA- just for educational instituations. 

It is important to keep student data private.  It is a challenge to ensure a party contacting an institution has authorization to view the documents.  

FERPA is in place to keep student information on their records safe.

FERPA has taught me the importance of student privacy, and that a lot of information about a student cannot be disclosed. There is also a difference in educational and directory information.

FERPA is a regulated form that protects student information.  Not everyone can or should have access to student information.

Confidentiality is key, one has to always use discretion to avoid violating privacy.  In addition, students have 180 days to file a complaint when they become aware of a violation. 

Biggest take away is how important my role is in making sure  FERPA law is not violated, and what is considered an "Educational Record" and what is not.

Not everyone needs (or should have) access to all aspects of the student's records. I also wasn't aware about the handwritten notes part and when they become part of the record. 

One of the most valuable takeaway point for me was to obtain a written permission signed by the student if someone is requesting any academic information.

Great reminder of the Do's and Dont's for student information.  

I never thought much about requests for records by third parties (the most surprising to me was a spouse), but it makes sense. As a personal rule, I never disclose anything to anyone until I am confident that the person asking for educational records is entitled to do so.

Confidentiality is an important aspect of work as a faculty member. It's critical that access to educational records be limited only to those that need this information to carry out their job responsibilities.

The biggest takeaway for me is understanding what rights students have through FERPA as well as what an institution is and is not capable of sharing. Coming from an associate registrar background, I am provided with information that is highly private and important to students so understanding what is classified as an educational record and knowing what can be shared with who is essential when it comes performing my job correctly. 

With this module, I’ve learned what information needs to be kept private for my students and will now apply that to my work.

Although I have never had a request for information concerning students educational records, I would be very careful not to divulge any such information until reviewing FERPA requirements.

Sign In to comment