Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A good old pat-on-th-back for an outstanding job goes along way and many times means more than something tangible or valuable. Giving praise makes an employee feel valuable to always put in a great effort.

Letting your staff know when they've done a good job is #1. The power of positive feedback and recognizing an employee is absolutely awesome. Positive motivation will build a strong sales team who will help each other rather than compete against themselves.

Managers can lead by example, and always keep the students and employers in mind when making decisions. When the Manager continues to always do the next right thing, I believ that the employees will see that as a place which they will want to work.

Positive reinforcement is the key. Too many managers are quick to point out shortcomings or areas of improvement, but never take the time to tell employees when they are doing a good job or give them a "pat on the back."

I agree that creating such an environment can be challenging but I am also of the belief that it is necessary. Especially in the educational department, if management and/or program directors set the pace then the instructor will most likely bring their motivation and positive attitude into the classroom this will trickle onto the individual student and can only have a positive effect in them. This might even increasing student retention.

Lead by example, Positive reinforcement and modeling appropriate behavior

I think well developed training - not sink or swim, or fly by the seat (or by night), or learn from the co-worker who just learned before you, but well developed training with solid instructional design, making employees feel truly professional instead of just a facade of professional or expertise, also makes a big difference and can be acknowledged as a non-monetary benefit that promotes a rewarding, quality atmosphere and career. Dress down days are another brilliant, non-monetary benefit.

Positive Attitude and lead by example

Missy - I recently reviewed a school's summary of their employee benefits and was happy to see reference to their provision of training as a benefit on the list. As you noted, quality training is a value-add for employees as part of their professional development that they get without cost to them. Thanks for noting the impact of good training.

Providing a positive work enviromnet really does make a difference. Letting your staff know how much you appreciate them, with sincerity, is more important that a lot of people realize. You do have to be creative with motivation strategies because after a while the same old thing seems forced and generic.

Customer service is everyone’s responsibility. Creating a culture to build trusting relationships begins with our Admission Reps. With the buy-in and realization that each person makes a difference to change an individual life should motivate employees without the need for monetary compensation.

At our monthly meetings we give printed awards of acknowledgment of accomplishment. This is the moment to shine and share..

Motivation begins with leadership encouragment. Manager can provide positive attitude and feeback when an employee excells by following the rules.

Tell them you appreciate them and thank them, often. Keep them informed on what is going on in the department and with the students. Ask them what do they want to accomplish in the next year, for example. Then work together to establish goals to make that happen. We have a monthly lunch when employees are thanked for what we do to change the lives of our students. During this time employees are recognized in front of their peers for their achievements.

Create a suppportive work environment.

Follow their CORE Values and find personal and professional ways to reward great work.

Angelia - I agree with you about customer servie being everyone's responsibility and the importance of trust related to culture. Thanks for sharing.

Nonmonetary motivational strategies may include posting a thank-you message via email and sending it as company-wide announcement, thanking the employee publicly at a function, having a designated parking spot for an exemplary employee, having lunch with the supervisor or head of the organization, or receiving an extra time off. The desired outcome of the given examples is to continously improve performance and at the same time to motivate and help to build feelings of confidence and satisfaction leading to retention.

Really listen, care, and be honest about what can and cannot be changed based on all of the criteria we are governed by.

I agree also that communication is the key. In addition to the important aspects of training that you have described, but also in the areas of motivation.You can motivate people with words of praise or recognition for their accomplishments or encouragment for their efforts.

Edna - thanks for sharing your ideas. I have seen employees value a special parking place or lunch with a higher level manager do wonders for motivation! And, as you also noted, the power of public praise can reinforce and encourage ongoing performance.

Sign In to comment