Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Remain positive, encouraging, supportive, and motivate your team.

Jump in the foxhole with the troops. Don't lead from the back.

I agree! I think along with being positive and supportive, it's crucial to be on top of changes and to consistently train and keep employees involved.

A variety of contests can be set up in different departments. Recognition at a school-wide "thank you Friday" event could be held with a certificate, 5 core value bracelet, a traveling department trophy, etc. None of this involves outright compensation. Team competition works well in admissions with contests in how many appointments were set for the week, for example.

Competitive motivators are a good tool, provided they do not involve compensation, as you noted.

Some employees are difficult to motivate if there is no monetary value involved. Acknowledgement of a great job well done always helps and maybe a day off with pay can be a little motivational.

What about graduation bonuses?

I agree with you about finding an individual's personal motivating factor. What appeals to one may not appeal to another.
I would also like to take a page from hockey and give a coworker "points for an assist." This would give recognition to someone who helps a coworker; i.e., giving a tour, mentoring,coaching, etc. This would build great team spirit and cooperation.

The provision for grad bonuses is a safe harbor which will be eliminated effective July 1, 2011.

Be the #1 Cheerleader of the team! If good moral isn't there then the team will head in the wrong direction.

I strongly agree that non-monetary means of motivation and incentivizing are very difficult for sales people. It means managers will have to get more creative to find ways to do so.

I agree with this completely. An Admissions Rep should never enter into the position under the pretense that they can earn monetary commission from enrolling students; our commission comes in the form of students graduating and changing their lives. This position requires the type of person who is internally motivated and can succeed with verbal confirmation of a job well done from peers and leaders at the school as well as seeing students progress and succeed in their program.

There are two types of motivation, extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic involves giving someone something to encourage them to continue a good behavior. Research has shown that this type of motivation is often short lived requiring constant motivation through extrinsic means to maintain the behavior. On the other hand, intrinsic motivation involves a person feeling good about themselves through praise, acknowledgement, appreciation, etc. This type of motivation has been shown to be longer lasting and results in a more permanent maintenance of the behavior.

So, as managers, we should focus on how we can utilize intrinsic motivation to reap the same, if not, better and more permanent results.

Praising employees when they are doing an excellent job is an incredible motivator!

Excellent points, Eric. The lasting benefits of intrisic motivators are significant. Creating a culture that fosters such may be challenging but is definitely worthwhile.

Managers can do the unexpected- help with duties, take staff to lunch on our dime and in general be consistent with follow up and praise. Everyone needs to feel valued, even managers. Especially, when monetary compensation is not an option for going above and beyond. Employees must have a sense of self motivation in order to be happy in the workplace.

Employees can be motivated with positive feedback and support. Just as in the education department, there needs to be an intrinsic feeling satisfaction, without the need for monetary compensation. All departments in an educational setting assist each individual in reaching a goal and changing his or her life. This is motivation at its best.

This is the dilemma that every Career School is facing. At the end of the day everything can have a monetary value placed on it.

Provide positive feedback and say "Thank you" Recognize individuals who are doing an exceptional job. Verbal praise in front of peers can go along way. Remember their birthday, have a silly contest, quote of the day....be create in your motivation strategies.

On the other side, encourage and support those that are struggling. Never critisize in front of others.

Gladine - I completely agree with your approach!

Sign In to comment