Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gina - I agree. The way to handle it is to focus on the People side of management - finding out what motivates individuals.

Tammy - agreed! I just responded similarly to another post. Finding what works to motivate individual employees may be a challenge but pays off in the long run.

A personal face-to face "Thank you" does wonders to show your appreciation and gratitude for a job well done. Sending out a mass e-mail where that person can be acknowledged publically will also help with employee morale. It's important to show our staff that their hard work and dedication does not go un-noticed.

I think Daniel Pink said it best when he stated that "Pay people enough to take the issue of money off the table." You pay them enough that they aren't thinking about the money, but they're thinking about the work. I know this may sound like a fantasy scenario where resources are unlimited, but for the faculty standpoint, which is where I work, you need to appeal to the fact that most faculty are teaching because they enjoy developing others and watching them grow.

I think the motivation, for faculty, is finding and maintaining that purpose for WHY they have chosen to be educators. For me it was a story of a student who discovered he had achieved the better life his parents had hoped for him when they immigrated from Mexico. I hold onto that story and consider the difference each one of can make in a student, and their families' lives.

It's great to see posts from thos that truly have the passion and believe in the value and purpose of quality education. Thanks for sharing!

there are many things managers can do on a daily basis, just a simple thank you or group regonition at a meeting, lunch for performance is alway appreciated.

yes i totally agree, this meks you feel wanted

Managers can offer promotions to motivate thier employees.

Stephanie - make sure that you review your institution's policies regarding promotions given limits based on the removal of the safe harbors for incentive compensation. Promotions and career laddering are certainly motivators but there are some restrictions which institutions must abide by to be in compliance with regulations.

A thank you note or email can go a long way. Taking the time to give the personal touch shows that you appreciate their committment.

Public praise is what keeps me going! Also, as long as I know I'm keeping all my interviews and presentations student-centered and student-focused, the smiles on the students faces at school and graduation is a huge bonus!

Exellent point, Bernard! I think nothing is more rewarding than witnessing student success and satisfaction first-hand!

Personal sit down thank you's, notes of thanks, & recognition in front of peers

Great point that even just a personal sit down has value!

Public regognition of a job well done is always a good way to recognize an employee's success. It makes the employee in question feel good and appreciated while encouraging others to become more engaged and desire the same acknowledgements.

Managers can do so much with the use of positive feedback. A simple smile and thank you goes along way! Some other things they can do would be: Bringing in snacks for the day if there is a lot on everyones plate and placing a great job note on their computer when they come in the morning.

In my opinion, motivation is a large factor of success. With the elimination of "safe harbors" there are still ways to encourage employees. I agree with the previous posts in the forum. A simple email or note of appreciation is always welcome. Another example is an annual award system. Although there's no compensation, public recognition within the company is a positive and appropriate source of motivation.

I feel that being recognized in front of your peers is a great motivating tool because of the new federal restrictions. Everyone enjoys being told they did a great job, especially in front of their fellow employees.

It is all about being shown that the work you do is appreciated. I would rather have a simple thank you, or have someone tell me that they appreciate the job I do, than some monetary reward. Yes money is nice, but when its gone, thats the end of the incentive.

get buy in that their are no monetary awards and focus on the students success instead

Sign In to comment