Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Maria - I agree that management needs to set the tone in order for it to trickle throughout the student population. I have seen some academic departments with substantially better student performance than other depts that could best be explained by the leadership of that specific program.

Managers should lead by example, "walk the walk and talk the talk"

Great leaders seek the talents and potential from their employees and use those talents and potential with certain projects. With the projects the great leader will assign the person with the talent in that specific tasks. Employees are more incline to stay with the company and manager if they feel they are invaluable. Research states that employees will remain in with company if they feel appreciated rather than an increase in pay. INcrease in pay is momentary where the feeling of appreciation and pride is with a person for ever.

I agree positive reinforcement is always important. However, even though I have not always been able to spend alot of money, or get huge raises, I have found ways to show my Instructors I appreciate them. I remember one "Teacher's Day several years ago, I found some computer paper that had apples, and rulers, etc. on it. I found a beautiful poem about teachers, typed the poem to match the flo of the page, and tied each one with a red ribbon. Each Inst. came into that on their desk that day, and I think every single one of them let me know how they appreciated that!

What a great, personal touch, Wendy! Your creative and genuine sentiment made the difference to show your true appreciation, value, and respect of the instructors' efforts.

Great information you shared, Sheila. Such intristic motivators and great leadership should help schools retain employees despite new restrictions.

Great idea! I think it is always important to make your employees and coworkers feel appreciated. I know that I am always willing to go the "extra mile" if I know that it has been noticed!

This can be an effective method for motivating your employess. An added bonus is knowing your employees are they intriscally or exterinscally motivated.

I will adopt the 3 P's. This are very good qualities and "motivators" for employees to accumstomed too

The importance of education, what it means to a prospective student, if you are honest and accurate in your information you could make a difference, and lead by example.

Motivational Strategies, wow what a topic to discuss! My suggestion is quite naturally you would lead by example, however, acknowledging the little things I think are important. Bring solutions to everyone makes a well rounded team. It has been my experience that there are no one solution fit all, so when that extreme out of the ordinary situation occure an employee should feel obligated to not be the man with a secret so to speak.

It is important for the managers to display a positive and professional attitude wile interacting the faculty and staff.

Staying connected to the fact what they do impacts the lives of others. You must also start with people that want to help others. The days of hiring folks interested only in making money are long gone...thankfully. We hire people that are competative by nature, they love to compete and they expect to win. We try hard to provide a fun, focused and productive working environment that allow reps to do what they are go at, and they recognize them for doing so! Celebrate success. We are using recongnion programs to recognize our most effective reps. Hope that helps.

Acknowledging faculty and staff on your campus Facebook page is a great way to show appreciation. Both current and prospective students visit Facebook. It is a great reflection of the college, as well as its employees, and it provides a morale boost to employees who are acknowledged.

Stacie - thanks for the suggestion to tie recognition into the current social media craze! It's interesting to see how schools are leveraging options such as Facebook and this is one I hadn't yet seen.

Since the Safe Harbours have been eliminated, I have found less of division between, Education and Admissions. Rewarding an Admission Coordinator for bring in a student that can neither write or speak English just to up the "count", is unethical, gives the student a false vision of success and creates a Withdraw waiting to happen, out of pure frustration.

I believe the student that is motivated, committed and passionate about their career choice will ask the right questions and ultimately make the right decision.

Good instructors will want to go to graduation, they will share the challenges they had with a particular student, memories of success will bring tears. I am always totally exhilarated by Graduation... truly the "Kool Aid" of the job! I would love to bottle it and give it first termers.

Many employees that are motivated by professional growth. They want to learn new skills that will help them advance to the next level.

Focus on doing the right thing for the prospective student.

I think managers should discuss reponsibilty instead of numbers, quota, budget. Good way to begin such discussions is by asking advisor reach their personal goal of helping others. Honestly, I hate to come in and do nothing for the whole day. Isn't that enough?

Sign In to comment