Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managers can give verbal or written recognition for exceptional employee performance. This recognition can come in the form of an announcement at an employee meeting or dinner or in the form of a recognition letter for an employee's file.

Thank each employee personally at least once each month. Personal thanks emphasise the value of the person to the company, it gives opportunity for praise, especially where the employee's input has been instrumental in recent company success, and allows management to interact on a meaningful level with their workers. This also gets rid of the isolated feeling employees often have of being just smalls cog in a big machine. Above all, it offers regular recognition and becomes separate from any performance review.

There are a lot of positive things that can be put into place in regard to employee motivation. A simple, "thanks," taking the time to stop by their office or desk and verbally commend them on their performance, also monthly recognition of an individual who has gone above and beyond. I know where I work, staff submit names to our campus president quarterly, so recognition is not bias.

When it comes to admissions, have little contests. There are goals that reps must meet, so if they meet their goals have a jeans day (we all love love love jeans day)or have a luncheon for their hard work and efforts. Really it comes down to positive recognition. Money is always nice; however, if our employees know upfront this is not an option, then the little things we can do instead will mean a lot.

Public recognition with peers

I agree. Intrinsic motivation pays off in the end. Intrinsic motivation will be different for each employee, depending on their personality and work style. Motivation is found by setting goals. Those can be as simple as taking an early day on Friday or having an appreciation lunch. Once you build a community of relying on monetary and cash bonuses and incentives, you will have to keep that model and keep increasing the bonus to keep employees motivated.

I agree totally. I think it is very important for the manager to have a positive professionalism when dealing with the faculty and staff. Showing appreciation for hard work does provide a happy environment to work in and lots of motivation.

It appears that employees will require a greater deal of motivation now more than the past because the climate of our industry is so uncertain. One of the best ways to handle this is to now develop habits of presenting these changes in a positive way and to make sure our employees understand that removing the "safe harbors" is not necessarily 'dooms day.'

Encouragement and appreciation make a big difference. I believe that those two things go a long way towards creating a positive work environment and motivating employees.

I truly feel it is so important for managers to display a positive and supportive attitude to their employees. This also means jumping in and giving a hand when needed.

Positivity in a work place starts with a positive attitude and that starts with the leaders. We must display a positive attitude at all times. We must recognize our employees for the hard work and dedication they show. All it takes is a simple Thank You and job well done, to show them that you notice.

I agree but I think the most rewarding thing is actually helping someone change their life...a luncheon or thank you note is just icing on the cake.

While money incentives as a motivator is nice, there are other ways that can achive the same results. As others have said, a job well done can go a long way. Most employees, if not all, will be happy and be more motivated at their job when they are recognized for a job well done. Other ways is a thank you luncheon with plaques or certificates of appreciation to show that you appreciate the hard work that they do.

I'm a firm believer in "if you take care of your employees, they will take care of you." As a manager, I always treat my employees with respect and admiration. Often times, expressing to them verbally and/or in writing, on how much they are appreciated goes a long way. Once a term, we award a Faculty of the Term to a member of our team who demonstrates above-and-beyond the core values and mission at our institution. Several other awards, luncheons and events are held throughout the year to extend our appreciation for all of their hardwork.

I feel that many employees are motivated by recognition of their work and professional growth within an organization.

It is good to acknowledge success among the team, especially when members exceed their expectations. Managers need to stay connected with their staff and keep lines of communication open.

Barbara, I definitely agree with what you said. A hand-written note of thanks can go a long way. People like to feel appreciated and recognized for their hard work.

Positive feedback can go a long way.

I think every employee is different and responds to different motivation. A smiley face drawn on a report goes far with some people. Fun achievment stickers on a chart might sound straight out of Grade school, but it is great to get recognized. Or an email to all staff for a job well done is a great way to boost attitude

I agree, the little things are fun but showing someone its not just about the role or job and that you are in this for the company and them goes alot further.

Agreed - I have always said that if done right, everyone wins. I think it's possible to be in it for the company AND the student and have all involved parties satisfied with results!

Sign In to comment