Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication and positive recognition is very important in keeping good morale in the workplace.

Rob - It's great to hear about some benefits of the elimination of the safe harbors. I hope all schools get to see things such as the reduced division between departments.

Agreed!

Plus it is good to acknowledge success among the team, especially when individuals exceed their expectations.

I think that a positive environment is probably the biggest motivator for staff. It is a simple concept. Even during difficult times and difficult conversations - approach and outlook is everything. I also think that small things work - like a cup of coffee, Concorde values wrist bands - all of those things work.

Managers have many tools to motivate employees. Some examples are:

Setting realistic goals and celebrating the success of the individuals, teams, or departments when those goals are met or exceeded.

Recognizing birthdays and employees anniversary dates with the company.

Encouraging everyone to attend graduations.

Promoting a positive and supportive working environment.

Treating staff with respect.

Approving vacation requests whenever possible and on a timely manner.

Managers should be a role model that employees want to look up too. If we admire and respect our manager, it makes us work harder to please them.

Everyone appreciates being recognized by their peers. Having one’s accomplishments acknowledged goes a long way in reinforcing intrinsic value. Managers can do many things to provide this recognition and motivation. It can be as simple as a hand-written note of thanks on their pay envelope to a more formal recognition of an awards luncheon. People need to feel needed and appreciated.

Internal awards such as most spirited, "can do" awards, "above and beyond" type awards really help. They show to the rest of your coworkers your job efforts. And it helps to motivate everyone to step up there game and put there best foot forward.

Simple encouragement and recognition are always easy ways to keep employees motivated

By letting the person know how much they are appreciated, lead by example. Motivation is the key,help to build character in that person as well as the team.

It is extremely important for management to keep positive and interact with their employees in that same manner. Give praise for a job well done and leave the negativity out.

That is a great idea. I think I'll give that a shot. I have done the usual thank you card, but this I think sparks some creativity.

Managers can motivate employees despite the elimination of "safe harbors" by simply remaining positive and interested in the daily workload of the individuals he/she manages. This in return keeps open communication and reduces the risk of putting too much pressure on employees, especially those with multiple managers. "Thank you" goes a long way, too!

Managers should motivate employees with positive reinforcement during stand-up meetings.Perhaps give small coupons out when an employee does well allowing them 30 additonal minutes for lunch or something simular to that. Offer certificates or awards on a quarterly basis to those who have achieved during that quarter. A more formal appreciation luncheon is always nice to regonize employees.

Traci, I would have to only chime in with what everyone has already written. From the top down, leading by example and keeping a postive attitude. Not condemning one for mistakes and instead leading them to make corrections and be successful is a great quality in a manager that will help keep the team compliant and employed. We are constantly enrolling students who want to work with and help others, let us remember that each member is also here for the same goals.

Consistently setting good examples of following the Values and Mission of the institution. Creativity and sincerity when giving praise and gratitude for a job well done.

I believe recognition is sometimes more important than money. People want to be recognized for their hard work. It is a proud feeling to have a picture in the hallway with a short synopsis of the positive things that person has achieved.

I think one of the best things to do is offer positive feedback often. It's also important to incorporate team building activities so that employees stay engaged as a team and work towards the common goal of the organization.

I agree. Along with acknowledgement, providing ongoing training and making sure staff have the tools they need to do their job and feel they are doing a good job is crucial.

Sign In to comment