Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Listening Tools and Techniques | Origin: AD115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Questioning and Listening --> Listening Tools and Techniques

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Thinking about listening as an "active" rather than a passive act is important. I thhinnk many people believe that if we are completely quite then we must be listening, but things like viaulaization, or paraphrasing can really show the other individual that we have truly listened

Active listening is the best way to show that you care and that you are there for your peer. This increases trust and understanding. 

Best practices in listening maintains eye contact, be attentive but relaxed, listens to the words and try to picture what the speaker is saying. Listening or hearing are the same and it is critical to gather information and to create trust with our students. 

One of the best practices would be to become an active listener. By doing so, you not only give the other person reassurance but you have  a better conversation and outcome. 

focus on active listening

I think it's important to teach our students to be aware of their own barriers to listening, especially the internal dialogue and reactive/critical barriers. It's easy and also most natural for judge what you hear from someone immediately or just focus on your own voice when someone is communicating with you. 

Very important to Listen with your eyes. I never heard it explained that way.

Body language is so important.

Active listening is very important when communicating. Engaging in the conversation makes the other party feel heard and understood. Personally, I do not enjoy engaging with those who do not activetly particpate in the conversation. 

Active listen is another essential tool when communicating with other.  Through active listening the goal is to derive at all the facts/information to help in making the right assessment(s).

-Active listening requires that you pay attention, show that you're listening, provide feedback, defer judgement, and respond appropriately. 

-In the 6 distinct relationships b/w body language and verbal messages, the most significant relationship to look for is when body language contradicts the spoken message. This is very common and it's important that you recognize these occasions. 

-When you allow your mind to create a mental model of the information being communicated, your brain will do the necessary work to visualize the communication - thus keeping you focused, with senses fully alert, and engaged in the conversation. 

-Good listening is critical to your questioning skills for 3 top reasons - 1) listening is purposeful 2) listening requires control 3) listening & skillful questioning require total focus & engagement.

Active listening is so important to help students feel heard and validated. A part of active listening that I found fascinating was body language of both the listener and the speaker. As a listener it's important to be aware of the speaker's body language as that can also relay a certain message. Also, I found that listening requires control an interesting concept. This helps steer the conversation into the intended direction to achieve the set-out goal. 

I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to have viewed this course. I was talking to my son, and I was telling him that lately I have been none focused, finishing other people conversations and been spacing out while having a conversation with them and that's not me, I don't know where and when this happened and or started, so I'm going to blame it on aging lol. No, but seriously, this topic has regained and put me back on track to where I went wrong and how putting on your listening ears is essential to everyday life and how easy it is too loose focus on what truly matters.

Comment on Aileen Paez's post: Active listening is learned. I call them Vibes, You can feel it even when you walk in a room. Voice Quality and Body Language says all

I've heard of summarizing before, but not reflecting. That part of listening sounds like a game changer and I can apply it by summarizing and then reflecting on student's answers when I'm talking with them about their goals.

FOCUS ON ACTIVE LISTENING.

According to Bernard Ferrari in his book Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All, listening is purposeful . It also requires control as you have to steer and filter the information. Additionally, focus and engagement is needed.

Learning techniques to help you listen better is an awesome idea. Visualization, framing and other techniques can allow you to really connect with others. 

This section was very helpful in framing-shaping my own personal listening style, strategic listening and just provided a better understanding of the whole science of listening. 

Sign In to comment