Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Fundamentals of Listening | Origin: AD115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Questioning and Listening --> The Fundamentals of Listening

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This was great lecture for my day to day work, and plan to listen more intently with not only my ears, but eyes and heart which I didnt think about before!!

Thanks!

Stephen Covey is so right in that often people listen just enough to respond but not to seek understanding. I also really want to start applying great listening skills like" curiosity, patience, respect, empathy and humility"

Showing humility is the best way to show you are actively listening and that you care. 

Great listeners possess humility, curiousity, patience, self-awareness. respect and empathy. Empathetic listeners listens with their eyes, ears and heart. 

I've learned that I could improve in my listening skils...often times I am already thiking of my response for a student. But not having a closed filter would benefit me more. 

Avoid filters like personal bias when listening

I learned that they are many cues that you can use to be an effective listener. For example , not only using your ears, but your eyes and body movements as well. I will apply this next time I have an interaction with someone during work. 

I like the breakdown of what an empathetic listener means and I will focus a lot more of my energy on listening with my ears and making sure I am not occupied with my own filters and issues. 

Listening is an active process where we use multiple senses.  

It's really important to consciously and actively listen...not hear but rather listen with eyes and empathy.

I think this module does an excellent job at reminding us to listen with not only our ears, but our eyes and heart. Listen to understand, not to respond! 

Listening with your heart means you truly caring about the other person!

All of the tools provided are great resources with communicating with students, talking less, listening more, and being humble is critical to effective communication.

-When you listen more and talk less as you ask questions, you will have the appreciation of the receiver, assist in building a relationship, and produce a sense of validation in the receiver. 

-Humility, curiosity, patience, self awareness, respects, and empathy are the key attributes of great listeners. In addition, great listeners give you their full attention, showing that they care. Great listeners make listening an active rather than a passive activity. 

-Having a closed filter causes the listener to judge every conversation from their own perspective rather than listening objectively. If your response it to automatically compare the speaker's situation to one of your own, you are listening through a closed filter. 

-Listen with your eyes, ears, and heart. 

One of the greatest things learned is to listen more and talk less. Even more so, to talk with empathy and to push away any bias. I truly believe students can read into these cues and appreciate when we are active listening and treating them with respect. 

Comment on Ravi Siriwardane's post: Yes I do agree that sometimes we tend to "listen to respond" A good listener is more open to have positive results. Eyes, Ears and Heart

I really enjoyed hearing about the listening filters and considering which filters I may be challenged with. Taking a moment to clear those filters before having conversations will be a new activity for me.

EMPATHIC LISTENING, listening with your eyes, ears and heart. It give you accurate data to work with, you're dealing with the reality inside another persons head and heart.

As a listener, it is important to listen without filters. Common filters are sympathy, patronization, closed filter, internal dialogue. Empathetic listening is when you listen with your eyes, ears, and heart.

Sign In to comment