The Power of Questions | Origin: AD115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Questioning and Listening --> The Power of Questions

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned the benefit of closed and open questions and when each is more appropriate.  I also learned that below the line questions place the other person in a position of being defnesive which is not conducive to effective communication.

OPen ended questions really allow you to understand the persons needs and wants

I've learned that I have to be very aware of using more engaging questions as opposed to disengaging questions.

I've learned the importance of open and closed ended questions, and when to appropriately determine which one to use. 

Open and closed ended questions are very important to the questioning process. Open ended questions prompt a person to provide thoughful and possibly embellish on the information he or she is giving.

Closed ended questions are used more for clarification or to end the conversation.

Loved learning about the 5 attibutes of a powerful question - will help me re-formulate some of the things I ask to stuents!

The attributes of a powerful question were a good review to having the beginnings of questions written out. What I found interesting was the engaging versus disengaging questions. Had not thought of it as looking at the question from different perspectives.