Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is imperative to know when to ask open and closed ended questions. In the probing and gathering information phase, the use of asking open ended questions will allow the ability to gather information and uncover what the students needs are. Close ended questions are good for moving forward in the conversation as well as uncovering specific information. 

I loved this module. It was a great reminder to utilize open ended questions and to always take control of the converstaion to get the information needed out of it. Once I focus on these things, my conversation will be more successful. 

If you really want an engagement with the client or prospect,  or friend, kid, spouse know when to use a closed and open ended question. This will provide a better interaction during a conversation with whom ever it is you are speaking with.

Questions and they way they are asked sets the tune and helps us gather more valuable information

I have learned the importance of using engaging questions

I was also taught that closed ended questions had a bad connotationto them. However, learning more about asking questions I realized that both open and closed ended questions have their own benefits. Avoiding why questions, so the person won't feel the need to explain/defend themselves. This can be disengaging and throw off the entire conversation. 

Reply to Vance Baldago's post:I tend to apply this knowledge in my everyday interactions with students, potential students and coworkers. 

It's very important to ask open-ended questions during an admission process or when getting to know your student. By mirroring asking powerful questions that are open-ended, I hope this illustrates to the student how to best ask questions so they can navigate their education more effectively. 

Jack Burke

I have learned that both types of questions are valuable and have their place. It all depends upon the person and the circumstance and what it is you are trying to accomplish to help that person.

Focusing on the use of open ended questions and working to keep conversations above the line and engaging will help to strengthen my communications ability. 

When we truly listen we ask more approriate questions, which provides the answers you are seeking.

This is a vital part of student recruitment and how to learn the correct approach.  It is also

very interesting to view othe admissions personnel's approach.  It really reminds me that noone has all of the answers.

This module highlights the power a question may hold. We must be mindful of how we pose a question and make sure it corresponds with our intentions. For example, using "why" questions, may leave the listener feeling deffensive. This would be counterproductive when trying to assist a student and works as a team, if they are left feeling attacked. 

The goal of my job is to create a positive relationship with prospective/active students. Earning their trust is of the utmost importance. However, this can be difficult when my only interaction is on a phone call. This puts more emphasis on the way I try to engage with the student. I have learned the importance of being purposeful in my questioning in order to facilitate a safe space to get to know one another.

Comment on Juan Rojas's post: I think this is easier said than done sometimes. Do you find yourself getting into a checklist mind set when trying to enroll a student?

I power on questions and how to utilize opened end questions. Furthermore, how to construct questions in way that comes across to the receiver as positive or inviting participation. Being new to Stratatech, this module has allowed me the opportunity to review and examine how   I ask questions and how they are perceived.

-A simple question is powerful because it allows the receiver to focus their energy on the response, instead of trying to understand the question. 

-Open questions are effective for promoting awareness, learning what the other person thinks, understanding the other person, uncovering motives, or discovering details. 

Both open and close-ended questions are beneficial, each having a purpose to help clarify or further a discussion. 

Comment on Millie Ferreira's post

I agree! I asked "why" so much but it really does put a person on the defensive.

The benefits of close and open ended questions.

Sign In to comment