Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making the Connection | Origin: AD105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Communication Essentials --> Making the Connection

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

"Making the connection"  what really hit home for me is how important Bonding is for effective communication.

Paying attention to body language is something I need to spend more time on. Understanding what a student is thinking will certainly help in trying to help them. 

Modifying voice inflection during a presentation is what caught my attention. I give up to 7 presentations a day on the same material. Sometimes I go into zombie mode and just try to get through it. I need the same energy in the last presentation as I did iin the first. Changing the tone of my voice among other things is a way to freshen up the presentation.

How to have the connection with the student

The most important thing I learned, was the 4 essential skills connecting with people.

I really like the idea of spinning a problem into a solution with the things learned from Module 4

How to incorporate essential skills into my daily interactions.

I will utilize the Commuication Formula to commuicate more effictively. 

1. Prepare
  2. Daft the Message
  3. Check for unintended consequences
  4. Refine

I appreciate the note that we are often unprepared in face to face conversations due to our confidence. I can relate to this. I naturally network and build relationships with very little effort. However, during admissions interviews, I find it is best that I keep a consistent conversation outline so that I ensure I stay on track with what is relevant to the purpose of the interview. 

Effectively reading others can benefit your conversations with students and your overall goals.

Mirroring the ways people respond can help you connect with them on a supportive level. 

Remembering names! I am not good with names and need to work on that! Also, talking to everyone, like it is the 1st time!

For me, it is being aware of how fast I speak at times. I have a tendancy to speak fast when I get excited or enthusiastic about a subject. I have to remember to slow the pace to allow others to comprehend what I am saying.

it taught me some things on how to put the students needs first.

The importance of knowing how to handle essential skills in interation with others.

This opening course is a game changer in how we communicate with students and colleagues in our organization. Going through the Communication formula was quite informative and practical in it's approach. The exercise to apply the formula was a bit challenging - as i didn't get it all on the first try - but well worth the effort and the explanation for each. 

It was important to reiterate that having people skills and a great attitude leads to more development and success not only with the students but in all aspects of the relationships we have.

Attitude, people skills, sales skills and product knowledge are what we use to connect with our students effectively. 

Body Language is an imperative part of listening and paying attention. It is still something that I believe that you can do over the phone by listening to body language and gaos within the studetns speach. 

The four essentials for communicating should be applied daily to help prospective students and guide them. Attitude and people skills are the best when building rapport. 

Sign In to comment