Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom and Laboratory Organizational Strategies | Origin: EC101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Your First Year as a CTE Teacher (Part 1) --> Classroom and Laboratory Organizational Strategies

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

I really liked the information about advisory councils and link to information about a book to purchase to assist in learning more about this area of responsibility/

The basic questions to be asked about the school were a good idea.  Also I like the advisory committee meetings, it would be great to get the local businesses involved in the school.  That would create so many opportunities.

There is a great need to Having an advisory committee helps with letting you know what their needs are and what they are seeing out there in the business and the changes to help build the curriculum.

I have a mentor and she has taught me so much my first year. We also have a CTE program and advisroy committe that does help the kids get jobs after graduation. This will be my first year as lead forthe CTE program so excited to learn and exlore. 

I used to have difficulty asking for help.  It's helpful to understand that you're not in it alone, and there are multiple support structures available.  My first teaching job did not have a mentor program, so I did seek out a mentor on my own.  It was extremely beneficial in navigating my first year.  

The best mentor I had was a teacher that was very professional and positive. She had no clue about what I was teaching. She encouraged me throughout the year and reminded me that mistakes were going to happen.

Be positive and own what you control.  

Mentors are important, it made a difference in my first years of teaching. 

The importance of reaching out for help and the importance of mentorship

Before the module, I was unsure about what an advisory board is and now I better understand! I also understand that it is vital and important to reach out to others when you need help. 

The advisory committee is great and a way to make sure your students and you are getting the information and help needed. 

The advisory committee is there for help and by using them, you can become a more effective teacher and role model.

Knowing that superviors are there to help teachers is a something to always remember.  We tend to fear what a supervisor may say to us when we ask questions or voice concerns but those are the people who can make change happen.  

The advisory committee and especially a mentor teacher are there to help.  Remember, it's OK to ask for help.  Building relationships and a strong network with those that can help you is very important for everyone.

I think it is very important that I be very mindful and purposeful about the development of a technical advisory committee. Intead of just a requirement, it needs to be a tool that guides and informs the program, with everything from curriculum, to fieldwork placements. 

Having an advisory committee not only informs the direction of the program, but can also provide valuable business and community partnerships to place students during their fieldwork trianing.

It was comforting to know that what I am experiencing seems to be good natural, organic process and grow into being a CTE teacher. It was also nice to see that what I was doing it intuitively to develop a support network was mentioned in this overview. With that says-speaks volumes-to the fact that This was written with us newbies in mind. I appreciate that.

Mentors are very important. I have two great mentors as I've started my new career. I need to push more to create a concil for my particular program, it is still in the making. 

Thus far, I've learned that my CTE program does place me on an island and I am the only subject expert in the building; as a result, I need to focus on what resources I do have and seek out mentor-like collegues that can better help me navigate our system. 

Sign In to comment