Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I didn't know specific states provided mentors.

Seeking out mentors in the community as an advisory board is a great idea, plus having a mentor teacher to help guide my first year. Although I am alone in my field at my school, having someone to help guide me through the process of different logistic difficulties is important. 

I have learned that you have to have a large vocabulary and be diverse in many different programs, not just your own.

I've had the incredible luck of developing my professional CTE support network, and this module definitely called all the primary resources a new teacher benefits greatly from. My supervisor, fellow educators, and faculty mentor have all been absolute rockstars in answering my many, MANY questions as I've progressed at my institution. 

I am really wanting to learn more about advisory councils. There seemed to be a few good references on advisory councils that I am really interested in checking out the links and really seeing where it takes me. I love the idea of mentors and mentees as this was not around when I started teaching 20 years ago.

I, like some other CTE teachers, find myself on an island of one when it comes to content. This reminded me how important it is for me to collaborate with close content areas in my building and other subject-alike teachers in the district.

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Your First Year as a CTE Teacher (Part 1) --> Classroom and Laboratory Organizational Strategies

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

Organizing your classroom and dealing with all the problems that often arise as a 1st year educator can be daunting, but having a good mentor can help CTE teachers be successful. 

It is helpful if we are open to many different types of support as a CTE teacher.  Having a mentor can be very helpful for giving advice and sharing concerns and celebrations.  Try to be around those who are positive and don't play the blame game.

I appreciated the scenario provided. I walk in and my world was left a mess by my predecessor. I wish that wasn't the baseline expectation as a new teacher in education. Yet, it's a parallel tangent to my post in one of these forums between the disconnection between the teacher as angelic role model and the reality of the profession. The striking reality of this disconnection might explain the turnover rate for not only CTE teachers, but all other teachers, as well. Yet the baseline expectation for those in CTE is that these folks have retired from another industry that will theoretically provide a foundation of professional experience where one might draw strength. Having had positive experiences in other industries, each professional can choose to run or become part of the solution? Seems honest to articulate this clear, daily, self-reflective practice of educational professionals. I really like the stay away from those who are negative advice... yet so much of this jading is genuinely earned, over decades of watching the system and those who frequently rise within it. The powerlessness within which teachers frequently operate, especially in areas of the greatest need begs the question of how they can truly organize and address the situations where teachers may have a legitimate cause to question actions and to be able to contribute to making changes. Rarely, in nearly thirty years in teaching, have I met a teacher without some legitimate times when they truly were powerless, completely disrespected, and thoroughly unsupported by their administration. There is cause to listen to those who are 'negative' - not in an effort to lose one's identity and join the collective of negativity, but in a quest to understand how to prevent these situations from recurring for others. Systemic improvement and change only comes as professionals are able to work through their own traumatic experiences in productive ways. Sitting with those who wallow in self-pity isn't valuable, yet empowering those who can come to the other side of them and who choose to reinvest their experiences into the system of improvement is an important aspect of influencing change. Otherwise, only those with sustained negative experiences, who embrace the mindset of enduring pain 'until they can retire' or thinking recurrently of 'seven more years left'.. 'if I didn't need the health insurance'... and the like, will be the voices left in education. And with those voices as the predominant choir, it's not surprising students are disenchanted and disconnected from the adults and the potential they bring for influence.   

Creating support systems, whether online tools, mentorships, or professional communities of support are critical to the success of a new CTE teacher.

Community partners are essential component of any CTE program. Our department is working diligently with our community partners on internships, scholarships, curriculum standards, and relevant work skills. 

The collaborative effort between teacher and a well established support system will be a determining factor for continued success for the CTE instructor.

The scenario reminded me of my first year!

The case study was right out of my first year cafe and all. Having a prepared curriculum was key to year two.

Advisory councils can be a great resource for the CTE instructor, not just the directors. Collegue relationships are very important.

Building strong relationship with students is important but having a strong support system for yourself and your program is also important.  I learned that there are many ways to get help from supervisors, mentors, and advisting committees.  

I learned that I'm not the only one that feel that mentorship is one of the greatest assets to have. You can learn valuable information form their experiences and can be the connecting point from one resource to another. 

CTE teachers cannot and should not go it alone! There a multiple avenues for support and teachers should be asking for help as needed. I appreciate the framing of the role of the administrator as one who SUPPORTS teachers. Too often admin is seen as just "the boss" (or even "the enemy") but the reality is that administrators were once teachers and they can (and should!) be of support to new CTE teachers! It was nice to have clarification about the role of the advisory board and to learn more about the value of mentorship. 

I can speak to the importance of developing those collegial relationships with others in my CTE content area - I am fortunate to have several wonderful faculty teaching in my program and their support, encouragement and willingness to step in and help out has saved me more than once. I had a mentor early on (my first year) but I didn't know what I didn't know and she had never mentored before so it wasn't the most effective / helpful experience. Still, I was grateful to at least have a point person to go to with questions / concerns while I was working on developing relationships with the other faculty. 

I appreciated the information on advisory committees and their importance. I have not had too much experience with them.

Sign In to comment