Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MENTOR MENTOR MENTOR!  I never thought about the importance of them in this field because I feel like teaching is such an independent thing.  I can look at it completely differently now like I don't have to do this alone, even if I am alone in my classroom.

Having a mentor will help you, especially in the first years of teaching. Having an Advisory Committee will also help and let everyone come together with new ideas and support for the programs. 

It is nice to know that my school facility already has much of this in place for me and other new teachers that come along. I feel comfortable to speak with a colleague or principles about my needs. We have monthly staff meetings and PLCs with others in my field monthly.

While CTE teachers are experts in their fields they may have difficulty making, what can be, a drastic change in career. I hope to build strong and lasting relationships with fellow teachers and colleagues. 

I learned about school support and non school support for CTE teachers, The different kinds of support. How to ask the expectation questions. Whos the boss. Professional Learning Communities. I intend to use the different ideas I have learned in this module to better my teaching methods and to build better student teacher relationships. 

I have seen the value in having a district assigned coach for classroom strategies. I have been actively seeking a mentor and my requests have been acknowledged but this module definately confirmed the need for a mentor. Thank you!

I am so thankful that my school system provided me with a mentor that has gone above and beyond!!!  She has been available and always either answers the question or finds me someone that can.  She has, on several occasions, stopped what we were doing and called another teacher or resource person who can answer a particular question.  This is especially true because my mentor is not a CTE teacher, but she is very experienced and goes the extra mile to make sure the question is answered (she doesn't just say "ask this person").

I had the same type of experience that the scenario lady had. I came into a new school year from a retired teacher. She was able to give me a very good run down of the curriculum. I however did not have a CTE mentor but support from the CTE staff at the district office. We have a small advisory committee, regrettably it doesn't help my program. 

Having a mentor is crucial to success. The example of the new culinary instructor having all these responsibilities that she probably wasn't fully aware of in the beginning. If she didn't have a good mentor she would have invested more time and energy into coming up with a solution because she wouldn't have understood the inner workings of the school and who she should contact to help. Her mentor helped her solve her problem. 

I have been blessed with good leadership and mentors so I lean heavily on them to navigate the maze called Post secondary Education. :-) 

I learned/confirmed the importance of having a mentor and not being afraid to ask questions, seek guidance and rely on those who've walked in your shoes.  

Mentoring has always been a part of my strategy in providing the help that is needed.

I have learned that its ok to ask for help. Its important to have a good relationship with Administrators and coworkers.

I set the tone in the room, and starting off strong with boundaries and classroom management is important. 

Having a mentor is so important! Every new employee, teacher or not, CTE or not should be given a mentor.

We have an advisory council, but now I feel like we should be doing so much more with it!

Having a good mentor is key to having a successful experience teaching.  

I most enjoyed the section on advisory councils.  I think having that partnership and transferring that information to the class is very important.

Ask a person who finds it difficult to ask for help; what I learned most is the importance of community partnership and having a mentor to succeed as a CTE instructor. 

The idea of a mentor is a great tool.  I wish I had one.  I get told so many different and opposing rules, policies, advice, and so much hoop jumping that is different for each teacher,  that I doubt I will return next school year.

My situation is different (teaching :pre-release: to adult felons in a prison school), so some of the things don't really apply.  Happily, I have plenty of support and have sought out one veteran teacher who has really been a good sound board for ideas, etc.

Sign In to comment