Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing an Understanding of CTE | Origin: EC101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Your First Year as a CTE Teacher (Part 1) --> Developing an Understanding of CTE 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

I now have a better understanding of the Program of Study and how that works within each CTE route. I also really enjoyed the history behind CTE and how is has evolved over time. 

I have learned a great deal! I have really enjoyed seeing how other states have implemented Programs of Study ans some of the resources they have develooped to assist teachers in developing excellent CTE programs. ACTE's self assessment tool will be most helpful.

I like how CTE has evolved.  As a first year teacher, I didn't realize the history behind CTE and all the opportunities.

Reply to Summer Henson's post:

I too, have a better understanding of how CTE programs came about and I wish I had known about this while I was in high school or even if my high school offered these programs.

I have a better understanding of the CTE programs and I totally enjoy being a part of this program.

CTE is a very broad curriculium with alot of pieces attached. The history was very interesting to me. I do have a better understanding of the CTE program.  

There are many more components to CTE curriculum than I realized.  I enjoyed the history, and I want to spend more time studying the High Quality CTE POS Framework document 

This introduction reveals the broad support of CTE. The support and development start locally with classroom teachers, and extend to state and nationwide set of standards for secondary and postsecondary programs. 

Learning the history of CTE has given me a better overall outlook on how to better prepare students I will be instructing.

I see the significance of involving the industry in student learning. Hands on and practicle experience is very important to the student success.

CTE is a great way to teach our students different path's to success

I learned more about career clusters and how paths work.

By introducing CTE in secondary education, there is a greater chance for students to find a career pathway of their choosing. CTE teaches students knowledgable skills that they can take outside of the classroom. By understanding the history of CTE, I am better able to explain to my students the importance of education. There is less chances of students saying, "why should I learn this? I'm never going to use it outside of school".

I really enjoyed looking at the components of a high quality program. It's good for us as educators to know what we should be looking at to help improve our programs.

I have learned that in order for a CTE program to be sucessful there are many factors that need to be considered.  CTE instructors should take the time to familiarize themselves with the specifics of each of these factors.  

I have learned how the CTE program has evolved over the years and that there are multiple factors that play a key role in a successful CTE course. CTE instructors need to be familiar with the factors and each specific idea that goes with their CTE course to help each student. 

This is my first being a CTE instructor and this course has helped me understand the importance of CTE and how it helps each student. This is a helpful tool for students to understand their own career pathways. 

I've learned about the components of a CTE Program of Study. CTE involves much more than I originally thought.  Also, I learned about the 12 elements that make up "high quality CTE."  This was very informative and broadened by view of CTE.

I gained an appreciation for the history of CTE in this country. It definitely involves much more and is much more comprehensive than I thought. What a great way to increase college attendance, decrease drop-out, and help to facilitate devlopment of essential skills. 

Sign In to comment