Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Legal Obligation | Origin: EL111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Assistive Technologies for the Online Learner --> Legal Obligation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

None of this was really new to me.  I have been a teacher as the discourse about accessibility has evolved.  I have also been glad to see more training offered to teachers about what an institution has to offer, what tools can be used by instructors and students who need them.  

My frustration continues to be about students who do not go through the Accessibility office, but verbally report disabilities to me.  It's important to encourage students to be proactive to get accommodations in higher ed.    It helps clarify, for instructors, what to accommodate, and it informs the institution about where it needs to improve services for better accessibility.

I found it interesting and insightful that we need to be sure that all of the information that we are posting on our online class is in respect to accomidation.  Failure to do so would mean lawsuit - that is a big watchout/awareness learning for me.

Lectures must include closed capture or could be open to a lawsuit for not being accessible to all. 

I have realized that my institution over the years have implemented a lot of the requirments set fourth by the ADA.

All material presented for learning in an online environment must be easily accessible for the students with disabilities, for example; close captioned.

It is important for the online instructor to know about the services available for the online learner with a disability. This knowledge can build a more welcoming atmosphere for the student with disabilities and can avoid legal action.

Simply realizing that on line instructors must comply with ADA is something we must all be aware of.

As a F2F instructor we know of these items, as an online instructor we also have to take everything into accommodatio for our students. 

knowing the laws of disabities and what we are expected to follow.

Instructors need to be sensitive and understanding of students with disabilities. While some disabilities are not as notable as others, and instructors may not know the reason for the disabilities important factors should be considered. Some people are born with disabilities while others may inherent a disability through a traumatic event such as a car accident or something of the sort. Sometimes disabilities due to traumatic events can cause students to always be afraid to do a specific activity or may experience emotional distress as memories of their former self come up. While the laws provide for access and limits discrimination, when instructors understand and/or are sensitive to ALL students needs, learning becomes easier.

I have learned that my institution over the years have implemented a lot of the requirments set fourth by the ADA.

SETH SORONNADI

THAT "Online instructors should investigate the proper contact person for disability services at their institution and understand the services offered to both the instructor and the online learners." IS SOMETHIG TO BE AWARE OF

I learned that the Brown vs. Topeka case in 1954 helped stop school segregation. 

In 1990 President Bush amended the ADA.  Online instructing often cannot identify these disabilities, hoping more students find the center on campus that can help them with any educational disabilities.  Bridging the gap.  

I found that all the laws that we must abide by and be readily cognizant of could be interpreted by many in different ways.  I am glad there is training, clarification and individuls assigned to help CTE instructors.     

I realize that my supervisors have known more about the laws than I have. This gave me some context for the history of how we accommodate. 

I learned that we must use good judgment when designing assignments and make sure that we are following the law, and, more importantly, helping all students to be successful.

I learned that students that have gone through the K-12 learning environment are used to being passive as far as the educational pathways to succees are concerned; as they enter the  the post-secondary educational environment, they may be unaware that they need to be more active in pursuing the pathways to educational success, but the instructor can be helpful if they explain these expectations and limitations  at the beginning of the course.

Again very interesting information and makes me rethink my class for such situations. How best to go about it when the course is a visual class. Great creative thinking required to accommodate students with disabilites.

Sign In to comment