Analyzing Games and Simulations | Origin: EL115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Gaming and Simulation in Online Learning --> Analyzing Games and Simulations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

What I have learned is that gaming can create a social community for peers to bond and relate to each other. I will implement this interaction by applying discussion boards for students to find a commonality that will unite them and generate learning. 

I have noticed that with the changing times that you are not considered a "loner" if you play video games. Those that play MMOPG meet people from all over the world and they are sharing more than the game experience.

I think the entire gaming community is very connected with all very similiar likes. They play with thier peers like a community of gamers.

Games if done correctly can be used as upbeat form of memorization and competition 

Incorporating games and virtual simulations can lead to greater student confidence as they learn through vehicles which are familiar to them. Often students will play online games for recreational purposes so they are in the habit of spending time on this activity already.

Scaffolding is important when it comes to incorporating games in the classroom!

I learned how many businesses using gaming simulations for trainings. I knew this was the case for pilots and certain military operations, but not for other types. 

Though games and simulations have been adopted by a number of industries, a strong foothold does not yet exist in the realm of education. I would expect this to change in coming years as more research is done and socially-distant platforms are developed and implemented.

You have to be careful with the type of game or simulation you pick for your curriculum.  Just because it says educational does not mean it does wht you are intending it to do.

I understand better why some people play multi-player games but I'm not sure how to apply this to the classroom setting.

I think gaming will help some of my stuents be more social with others and lesrn the correct social ettiqute needed to interact and learn with others.

Some important aspects of serious games are allowing the user the right aount of control to navigate, change views or access learning notes. Social presence is particularly important, and can be added to the game through synchronous participation, chat rooms, or avatars who respond with non-verbal communication cues as well as verbal or textual feedback. Virtual worlds may be the best way to achieve this, as users actually compete against each other.