Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Analyzing Games and Simulations | Origin: EL115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Gaming and Simulation in Online Learning --> Analyzing Games and Simulations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

What I have learned is that gaming can create a social community for peers to bond and relate to each other. I will implement this interaction by applying discussion boards for students to find a commonality that will unite them and generate learning. 

I have noticed that with the changing times that you are not considered a "loner" if you play video games. Those that play MMOPG meet people from all over the world and they are sharing more than the game experience.

I think the entire gaming community is very connected with all very similiar likes. They play with thier peers like a community of gamers.

Games if done correctly can be used as upbeat form of memorization and competition 

Incorporating games and virtual simulations can lead to greater student confidence as they learn through vehicles which are familiar to them. Often students will play online games for recreational purposes so they are in the habit of spending time on this activity already.

Scaffolding is important when it comes to incorporating games in the classroom!

I learned how many businesses using gaming simulations for trainings. I knew this was the case for pilots and certain military operations, but not for other types. 

Though games and simulations have been adopted by a number of industries, a strong foothold does not yet exist in the realm of education. I would expect this to change in coming years as more research is done and socially-distant platforms are developed and implemented.

You have to be careful with the type of game or simulation you pick for your curriculum.  Just because it says educational does not mean it does wht you are intending it to do.

I understand better why some people play multi-player games but I'm not sure how to apply this to the classroom setting.

I think gaming will help some of my stuents be more social with others and lesrn the correct social ettiqute needed to interact and learn with others.

Some important aspects of serious games are allowing the user the right aount of control to navigate, change views or access learning notes. Social presence is particularly important, and can be added to the game through synchronous participation, chat rooms, or avatars who respond with non-verbal communication cues as well as verbal or textual feedback. Virtual worlds may be the best way to achieve this, as users actually compete against each other.

I've learned that games can be judged based on their layout and design. Many factors influence the success or failure of a game or simulation.

One simulation software I'll use in my class this fall is Minecraft. My goal for use in Minecraft is to teach my Students problem-solving skills. I would also like to study the feasibility of using popular games my students play that will foster their computational thinking skills for my coding class.

Reply to Helen Saunders's post:Helen, I like what you wrote because the gamers ae sometimes view that way but so much "social presence" can and does occur. 

The two takeaways for me so far in this Gaming/Simulation training course has to do with remembering that not all stduents will have high-speed technology (or up to date) and so some games might not load properly. Also, I enjoyed the suggestion of where to go for resoruces on gaming. Very helpful. 

We use both high and low-fidelity simulations in our nursing program and they provide invaluable insight to our students.  It is amazing how realistic they are now and the multitude of programs and situations that can be replicated.  I found the comment about how often people play World of Warcraft quite interesting.  The awarding of badges and other objectives to meet keeps individuals engaged and coming back for more.  A challenge to using these simulations and games includes some students do not have access to the latest technology required to run high quality simulations.  Unfortunately for many online students they do not live close to their school and cannot utilize the on-campus computer labs.  Overall I think this discussion is needed and provides some unique learning opportunities for both the instructor and the student.

Individualized instruction promotes involving learners in activities designed to meet their interests, needs and abilities. Activities can be individualized by varying the learning pace, the instructional objectives, the learning method and/or the learning materials.

I had not considered the social aspect of gaming.

Sign In to comment