Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that students learn in different ways.  More and more students seem to choose online.  I have learned, that there are many tool available to instructors and institutions to use, which will ensure student feel that they are getting the attention needed and a timely manner.  Resolution to problems to prevent detrimental delay in learning or progress in this platform is very important. 

I enjoyed learning more about how the type of student we're likely to see in college/undergraduate studies are older, have jobs, and may or may not have kids (80%). I also thought the information regarding how the pandemic has shifted the ways younger students might connect with online learning was interesting and a great reminder to stay abreast of the research to help better support our students.

Comment on Maria Perez's post: Comment on Maria Perez's post: Great comment. 

I really liked how the modules touched on how our frequency and quality of communication with our students impacts retention. The online student requires more constant communication. Some of the Challenges students face: self management (time to study), easiness of  Google "research" on due papers and writing skills in addition to technological fluency for the adult learner.

Comment on Jennifer Williams's post: I find that the adult learner finds more challenges learning online because many consider it to be "impersonal". 

Technology has changed the way of education especially since COVID.

I liked the way the information was broken down in these sections. It outlined the common compentencies that could and do help classify common online classroom issues. However, knowing these does more than just explain what the problem can be. If instructors/designers know these are common (especially if they recognize  these issues occurring in their real classes), the competencies can be used to ask "what can I provide to help meet these competencies?"

Regardless if learners fit the typical demographic, there can still be additional resources provided to help meet the competencies needed as long as students are at the age to understand and make coherent choices. If students aren't communicating, or are showing issues in other competencies, instructors can provide feedback, optional additional resources, and incentives. It is the instructors job to create and facilitate an engaged, active learning environment. However, it is still the student's responsibility to take control of their learning by using the tools and information provided.

Getting to know each individual online learner is the door that opens many opportunities for rapport, self-efficacy, self-management, self-advocacy, research skills, writing skills, technological fluecy, and virtual collaborations. Without these essential qualities, online learners truncate their academic success.

There are different student profiles, that require adapting our teaching methodologies to their learning styles, and needs.

Online learning is beneficial to those who work and it also teaches time management skills, becoming techologically inclined for all learning levels

Se han desarrollo, hoy en día, miles de programas estrategicos para contener el aprendizaje y poder concretar objetivos; no obstante, no todos cuentan con las mismas capacidades, habilidades y facilidad para concretar logros de aprendizaje en esta modalidad y ello es lo preocupante, además de no acercarse abiertamente a la practica en campo. Soluciones que son una busqueda constante en esta generación. 

The benefit of having the freedom and flexibility to take classes or turn in assignments online can provide busy students with a platform that can allow some individuals academic opportunities where the traditional format would not be feasible.  While with other individuals, this format may require a higher degree of commitment and discipline compared to a traditional classroom.

I appreciate learning more about self-advocacy.  As self-advocacy is the ability to assert oneself or ask for help this presents as an issue for many students since in online classrooms, instructors cannot see a confused look on a student’s face. Online students must take the initiative to ask for help before problems become emergencies. They must be specific and clear about the help they need because saying “I’m lost” via email gives no insight into what type of help is needed. Students also need to be persistent and follow up accordingly if they do not receive timely responses.  These are barriers that all online educators need to keep focused on for their group of students.

Never make assumptions about their competency in these 7 areaa and give lots of guidance when putting together assignments to help them learn these skills alongside the course work.

Online learning has become a valid choice for individuals to purse their education. However, much work is needed to fill the gaps that exist with traditional learning. 

Sign In to comment