Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that online students prefer this format for the flexibility.  As stated, most online learners are older adults with young children.  The online environment gives this student the ability to complete assignments at a time that works best for them.

In this module I learned about online learning, the perceptions and understanding the online student. It was interesting to learn the statistics of F2F learning compared to online learning and the fact that there is a modest increase of online students outperforming the F2F students.  The survey of hiring managers looking at prior experience and interview performance as being important for hiring individuals.  The comparison of the traditional student versus the post traditional student was interesting in understanding who are online students and understanding their challenges.  Finally, the online student competencies was analyzed, I agree that these seven factors must be focused on especially if the student is struggling.  

I appreciated the section on the core competencies of learners and the explanation for each one. It is not good to make assumptions about students in terms of any of those factors that were listed. Instead, instructors should use surveys and learn about the strengths and struggles of each student to tailor the classroom accordingly.

The quality of education isn't determined through the delivery method but rather what valuable material is provided, how it is provided and what the student has learned by the end of the class.  Differentiation due to high competition is needed to separate one school from another.  

I noticed nothing mentioned spelling, which is worse and worse each year.  Their effort to even hit the spellcheck evades them.

Lots of copy and paste and we have SafeAssign that helps to check originality.

I clicked the link to learn more about plagiarism and access was denied.

Jan

I will use the list of 7 competencies in my introductory discussion with my students.

I need to understand the students' backgrounds to determine if they are experienced with online learn, if the are adult learners, and it they have come straight from traditional learning.  In that way, I can proactively address the 7 core competencies to ensure effective learning.

Seriously, online learning is not easy to control, the temptation of the Internet is too great

As someone who is both an instructor and an online learner (doing my higher degree now), I liked getting these perspectives.  I still struggle a lot with self advocacy and technological fluency as a student, and I hope that gives me more compassion as a teacher

Student retention is as much the job of the institution and those that work there as it is the student. This is so important to remember as an adjunct professor and soon to be director of virtual learning.

The COVID pandemic accelerated a new segment of the online education marketplace. The post-pandemic online learner when compared to post-traditional learners, tends to be younger, unemployed or part-time employed, undergraduate degree seekers, and motivated to begin a career, not advance one. Online engagement is critical to these types of learners. 

To know the trends of online learners as well as teaching methodology which work best

The positive use of the internet presents benefits and cjhallenges as well

Teachers must be on top of all new trends in online learning

The online instructions allow students who like to continue education in order to enhance their professional performance and obtain their beneficies while they work.

Hekp students to maximize use of technology in an appropriate and successful manner

Engaging online learners is more than just making class "fun". It must also consist of genuine effort aimed at making sure the students understand their resources and the neccessary good habits that typically accompany success in the virtual classroom.

Including some orientation course in Time Management, etc. could help students learn how to better navigate the challenges  of online learning.  I think we often assume that students have those basic skills, but often they do not know how to transition from in person to online learning.  Giving some instruction could avoid feelings of inadequacy in coping with the challenges.

Margaret De

Hi Jamechia,

It is true that Covid was responsible for the surge in onlin learning, but now I think people are realizing that it is a more flexible method that can reach a wider population. Also, it saves a lot of gas and thus helps the envioroment.

Margaret De

The student is struggling with online learning due to poor time management. As a teacher, I will let students know how many hours outside of the classroom are expected. To help navigate the learning environment
Sign In to comment