Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are more non-traditional students than traditioinal.  On line classes tend to attract students with busy lives.  Need to gear up for the adult learner type.

In this module, I learned today's students can choose from a variety of learning modalities that involve varying levels of technology-enhanced instruction; such as: traditional, web-facilitated, blended/hybrid, and online. In addition, I also learned about the many issues that online students encounter; and how they can be classified into one or more of the seven compentencies: self-managment, self-advocacy, technologocial fulency, information literacy, research skills, writing skills, and virtual collaboration.

Time Management is an essential part of online learning, at the beginning of course student has to make sure they understand how important it will be to manage their time so the assignments can be completed.  Giving as zero should not be an option, reach out to the student, send email make the effort to reach the student and give helpful tips on how to better manage their time.

Alot of the material discussed was very informative.  I feel like it has helped me to understand different ways of both challenging and motivating my online students.  Students have to be willing to do their part in the online course but as an instructor I have to make myself availlable to help with the understanding and education of the course.

Gloria, This session was very informative in breaking done the begining of onlie learning, the different steps of technology

The biggest challenge that I have seen is that without the face to face interaction, we don't have the common ground to know where the student is at, what their skill level is and if they are getting lost until it is too late.  Sometimes, I have seen a student seem to be doing fine, but then tell me that they were lost.  It doesn't matter that I have asked every class if they are okay or if there are any issues.  They don't seem to feel confident to voice their need for help.

Online learning is definetely becoming more prominent than ever and it's here to stay. However some students learn on different levels. 

Reply to Nicole Richmond's post: So true I agree.

the university  of Illinois was where the first online class was devlioped 

While most of this is geared to working with adult online learners, I will be working with high school aged online learners. Out of the 7 learning competencies mentioned, I think that I will need to emphasize self-advocacy and also online collaboration. Most of my students feel comforatable advocating for themselves in a traditional classroom and collaborate with their peers. However, I worry that these skills may not come as easily to them online. Therefore, I plan to teach these concepts at the beginning of the year and reinforce them throughout.

Online, even with teacher intervention and assistance requires students who are self-motivated, time management disciplined, and able to manage other life responsibilities simultaneously. I know, having taken many online courses. Life has so many distractions. Only through perseverance was I able to complete. Online learning can be daunting. This course re-enlightens me.

I did not know that student plagiarism has been identified according to 10 different categories.

I learned that online learning, although rudimentary, began in 1960 with the system called PLATO.  I have also learned that online learning is now on the rise and many institutions are now using online teaching.

Online learning has emerged as the main educational format due to covid. Because of this it is important that we as instructors become familiar with all the technicalities involve. This format is just as valuable as in class instruction.

One dimension of on line learning which is beeing overlooked is the almost complete loss of interpersonal interaction between teachers and students.   Many who have come through the traditional education system can recall that favorite teacher or proffesor, that individual or small group interaction where the excitement of and love of the the subject matter or even tangential material is exposited  discussed and set aflame in the hearts of the students.  

Online delivery of content and the collaborative process and engagement are important to student success.

Respectfully,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

Student success doesn't soleley rely on method of instruction delivery. It doesn.t really make a diffrence if whether its though online, or face to face or a combination of both. Also most online learners are adults who live a busy life and often have family and children undre 18 at home.

It is unfortunate today that I have found that a lot of my students don't have a knowledge in research, they have not been tought that at an earlier stage. Some of the students I have come in contact with also have poor writing skills this hinders them in being able to convey themselves. I do make attempts to have them take notes and also try to communicate by written responce.

Since I began a full online course I kept thinking wow these student are working with great confidence and are really geting assignments done. I kept noticing how they are were more accomplished and very efficient.  So my assesment of the last course proves everything we coverd in this segment.  Ilove it.

one major this I learned is that MOOR isnt a sustainable way of practicing education long term do to student needing face to face interaction

Sign In to comment