Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a balance of active and passive learning is key to being able to get the information out to students.

I now understand the difference in passive and inactive learning.

Passive learning should be combined with active learning. Passive learning should be a mixture of creative and structured instruction. There needs to be more interaction with information and ideas in order to keeps students engaged. As an instructor it is also vital to get students to critical think and apply what they are doing/learning to real-life. 

Although passive learning opportunities are needed, the opportunity to create content supporting multiple learner styles with opportunities to engage in a nonthreatening environment is important. 

Passive learning benefits
Quickly presents a variety of information.
Allows lecture notes to be pre-planned and reused.
Gives the professor more control over course delivery.
Provides a concrete and organized presentation of the material.

Passive learning builds the foundation upon which the rest of the structure is completed.

Passive learning (e.g., a good lecture), still has its place.  In my discipline, I find students need some structured lectures to help with concepts and new vocabulary.  They can't truly engage in active learning without understanding the foundations.  So, I think passive learning is most helpful at the beginning of a unit/module.

Also, I liked the distinction between passive learning and inactive learning.

I like how this portion of the course stresses the importance of passive learning, especially prior to the active portion of a lesson.

Knowing that passive learning is sometimes the best way to get general information out to students. Students can then transition into active learning, using what they have learned in a more hands on practice.

You need to have a combo of well designed passive learning activities, along with active learning activities.

Passive learning is important in online learning. It can be used to prepare for more active learning.

Passive learning is a vital first step in learning that happens before students can apply it.

While active learning is where higher level learning takes place, passive learning is a necessary foundation for active learning, as facts and concepts are provided and reviewed in preparation for the active and higher level portion of the learning. In other words, you must provide the information before asking the student to apply it.

Passive learning is needed to reach a point that students are prepared to effectively use active learning techniques. However, relying only on passive learning can lead to inactive learning as there is no engagement or moving forward. Working in an asynchronous learning environment, I want to be conscious of the amount of passive learning there is and if there are lead-ups to active learning.

A very interesting read.

It is key to have students passive learn at first if we want to see them actively learn later on. Passive learning can help expose new information to a large group of people at once. Therefore, this can be an advantage to educators.  

Sign In to comment