Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning is REAL learning, where the learner is involved with the content, not just passively absorbing (or more likely NOT absorbing) information

Active learning involves pulling the students in for participation n the learning process.

I absolutely disagree that it's not much more difficult to engage students online than in a classroom.  There is no physical presence.  Our university does not mandate Zoom participation.  When I was in the classroom I learned much about the students - before and after class and during breaks.  There is no equivalent online.

Active participation in a training is essential for student understanding.  Sitting back and not actively participating does not good in overall learning. 

Planning acompanied with good time managements is necessary for active learning.

Students must be fully engaged in their learning. They must want to put forth an effort

There are many active learning activities that can promote student engagement in the learning process. The key, however, is to encourage full student engagement to participate, interact, and promote new ideas and projects so that their own learning can be fully realized.  

This course emphasizes the importance of preparation. Active learning is possible in asynchronous time as well as synchronously. Effort leads to results, good reminder.

I teach a hybrid class which involves student directed learning and in classroom. Next semester I intend to modify the course to include Zoom sessions during our remote weeks. I like the idea of using polls. It is not a very user friendly service with Zoom, but a good option to see what everyone thought of the class session or what the take aways were. 

Provid9ingf online learning is probably more cumbersome than inperson learning.  The instructor really needs to know their students and their backgrounds.

The biggest challenge I find is getting the students to be active in their learning process. So many of them want the information spewed to them just so they can pass a test and move to the next assignment. I teach Administrative Office courses and they require the students to actually produce documents for grading. Students complain I am giving them too many assignments but if they don't complete several assignments then they are not truly learning the art of document formatting. 

I learned the importance of promoting active learning. Often times I find it easier to just teach a concept, but by encouraging students to become more active and searching for the answer. Then reporting back to me, may be the better option. 

The more control students have over their learning the more they will learn.   Finding ways, activities, assignments that allow more of this in course design.  Being more intentional in trying to find these things and set it up.  The issue for me seems to be time to do it and when working with limited technology such as D2L that does not have the flow like this course does with graphics and short things floating in, etc.

Wonderful insight to how important it is to incorporate different learning styles into course delivery to help students with learning at their pace and mode of learning. It is not enough to recognize students different learning styles yet continue to deliver content in only one or two learning styles. This module encouraged evaluation of how I am presenting and engaging students towards learning.

This module has helped me to understand that while I am the content expert, the course should be designed with help from the students to gain ownership and feel empowered to be an active member of the course.

I've always considered "problem-solving" itself as active learning, but this course is emphasizing that activities must be student-directed. I'm trying to think of how to give students more "choice" in their activities - let them choose the problems to solve? Have them choose which content requires more study? 

Practice with Feedback
Alternate short periods of lecturing (live or lecture videos) with time for students to apply what they have just learned and receive feedback. Students can work individually, in small groups, or both.

Strategies include:

Expand allAsk questions about a lecture with classroom polling
Low-stakes quizzes to check understanding
Zoom chat window to share student responses
Screen sharing
Gradescope

Peer Learning
Through discussion with their peers, students may see additional patterns and connections between concepts, correct misconceptions, and organize their knowledge. It can also help create a sense of community in the class.

Expand allBreakout rooms in Zoom
Online discussion boards
Group collaborations in Canvas Groups(link is external) more...Canvas Groups
Peer feedback assignments
Student prepared videos and other resources
Google docs for collaboration
Hypothesis(link is external) more...Hypothesis

Structure
Provide clear instructions, expectations, and accountability

Expand allClear instructions
Clear purpose
Accountability
TAs can help...
Expectations and Examples
Due Dates & Grading

Students learn more when they take ownership of their learning opportunities. This takes planning from the instructor to accomplish. 

As some of our courses are self-learning, self-paced I'm trying to wrap my head around how to incorporate active learning.  Videos, surveys, polls, required certain number of discussion interactions much like this one:-)

Active learning can be the key to a student's success and retention of information.  Active learning involves engagement by the students.  While I try to incorporate active learning into the courses, I am always looking for new ways to expand or mix it up for students.

Sign In to comment