Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of getting students more involved in designing learning activities and lessons.  

This module showed me how important active learning is for retention.

There are always new ways to engage students and help them to drive the learning process.

Active learning is 90% by "doing."

I found it interesting what people generally remember and how through passive and active learning. Only 10% of what you read compared to 90% of what you do. That is motivation to make an engaging class!

Active learning is critical to learning, as active strategies provide nine times more retention than viewing and three times more than hearing. Instructors and instructional designers must plan for active learning for effectiveness.

Comment on Joshua Smith's post: This question resonated with me too because when you click on it, the answer was actually both depending if the situation was focused on art or nutrition. At first, I instinctively also thought the right answer was by eating it. Once I saw the right answer though, it sparked an "ah ha" moment of realizing there can be two right ways to approach a question or topic depending on the learning objectives for that content. 

The overall format of the course and my interactions with it was interesting. I am still relatively new to MK and have only completed 4 courses all in similar formats that differ from this course. I have been trying to make the learning process both quick and effective, and while this format appears to have been made to be interactive, the time for completion was about the same as the other courses. However, the "feel of it" was different and appeared to try to be more engaging even in an asynchronous environment. This analysis relates to what we're learning because while active and passive learning may still need to be done in the same timeframes, the experience of the class is very different.

Students retain more when they are engaged.

I had thought I was doing Active learning by having students engage actively with the material, but the module suggests that unless the students create the activities themselves, it is not active learning. I am disheartened

Active learning takes effort on the part of the instructor and the student.

I learned how to keep students active in online learning.

I learned that engagement is important when students are actively learning. If there is no engagement then it will be difficult for students to fully learn. 

I learned that engagement is important when students are actively learning. If there is no engagement then it will be difficult for students to fully learn. 

Sign In to comment