Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of giving private feedback to each student every week concerning their grade. However, with my large number of online students, it may be more feasible to do this every two weeks instead.

Encourage collaboration, keeps groups small 6 or less, let the students lead, and do not interact too much while providing the needed feedback.

It's really important to give private, weekly feedback to each learner regarding his or her grade.

Feedback in the form of discriptive comments, thanking students for their comments, providing extensive feedback,

encourges critical thinking.

Timely, clear, concise feedback.  Absolutely critical.

Students need much more support and feedback in the online environment than in a traditional course.

Strategies that should be implemented for collaboration include building strong group interdependence. The strategies focused on ways to give students' responsibility and input into the learning process. 

Efficient communication in the virtual classroom is vital. Communication does not just involve sending messages but correcting and responding to students in timely fashion will enhance the learning environment. There is nothing like an instructor that communicates with their students daily. Keeping the line of communication open will help students gain control over their learning enviroment.

My favorite section of this module is the last, "The Collaborative Online Instructor". The information is practical and valuable.

Some highlights:

1) Build strong group interdependence - building the "one for all and all for one" camaraderie.

2) Keep groups to fewer than 6 members.

3) Establish peer evaluation - peer evaluations are great learning tools for students.

4) Give students control - great way for student buy-in and high level learning

The more we involve students in the online learning process, the more likely success is accomplished.  Develop policies and procedures that make mandatory student to student communication, student to teacher communication and student to classroom communication and this will alleviate social presence and lack of social interaction issues.

I really thought the tips ofr communicating with students via email, chat, and message baords was informative and vital

Setting standards for communication helps streamline.  Provide information to students explaining how and when to contact the teacher for various needs.

As the instructor I should provide private feedback on grades and constructive criticism, as well as public feedback in discussion boards to get conversations flowing in the appropriate direction.  It will be my job to monitor discussion boards and keep them safe, positive and productive.

Instructors should be present in class at least 5 days to show students their presence and provide feedback to show the student that their effort is being recognized. 

I see now where group interactions are critical for online learning.  I plan on incorporating more personal messages as well as more opportunities for students to interact in groups.

I like the idea of giving consistent feedback to online assignments.  It's more important in the online world because you cannot give praise or comments face to face.

Stay in touch with every student individually not just in a group setting. Communication with youur students is one of the most important aspects of online instruction

One of the things I learned from this module is that it isn't good to reply to every message in an online discussions.  Students need the space among themselves without the teacher contributing.  Feedback is essential and expected within 7-10 days.  Instructors must establish, communicate, and enforce communication boundaries.  Students should know when an instructor is available.  Instructors must make time within those boundaries to meet, even face to face, if necessary with students.  

Students need feedback from their online instructor at least 5 times weekly. Responses should be clear, concise, and offer constructive feeback.

Students need to know their status in the class and feel they have an active stake in what is being shared. Multiple feedback avenues can be used to achieve this.

Sign In to comment