Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Clear communication and instructions can help the student understand better and feel more comfortable getting involved in the conversation. The more confortable the student feels with you and the other students the better the chances of them wanting to get involved. 

In order to keep students involved in the participation to keep them engaged, form smaller groups & post problems to be solved, have students give critique, start a debate on a topic in your lesson, etc that will encourage participation from students.  Just posting a question for students to answer may not be very engaging. 

Because we are not in a traditional classroom enviornment it is important that expectations for students are clear and that there is constant communication and feedback between student and teacher. However, it is important to set boundaries on communication as well like office hours.

Not having the "in the classroom environment" setting allows for allternative approaches and collaboratively (all pons intended) stimulates instructors skill sets to to find inovative mannerts to comunicate with students and staff alike.

Feedback is key to the success of a student.

Feedback should be continuous and informative so that students may learn why they were incorrect.

Instructor feeback on communication on a regular basis is mandatory. Students need the instructors guidance and direction. Check our on line course on a regular bases. 

Feedback must be timely to be useful.  A Word document with common feedback help the instructor be more efficient. 

What I like to do when commenting on discussions is to not only include the response to that student, but also make more gerneralized comments to encourage others to read and interact. Might spark more conversations.

Online education relies more on the written feedback than an actual conversation face to face. Social presence is very limited. A Zoom classroom will help with audio and visual feedback. Instructors should communicate with students on a regular basis. Communication should also have boundries.

The online environment does create challenges when it comes to communication since it takes away things like facial response and spontanuity. 

Students online need more interaction and I will do more interaction and set boundries for all assignments and online experience

There are three types of communication within an online classroom. They are:

1. Student-to-Content (S2C): Students will read, view, and listen to books, articles, videos, and recordings provided as part of the course content.
  2. Student-to-Instructor (S2I): Students will communicate directly with the instructor and receive feedback from the instructor.
  3. Student-to-Student (S2S): Students will engage in communication with their peers and even work on activities and assignments in groups.

Avoid italics, bold, and underlindered text. Not all online systems support them.

I will strive to get to know my students as that will help me to know how to best communicate with them.  Some students soar at written communication while others require a different communication mode which is possible with today's technology.

you nloose facial feedback when you are face to face

need more support from other onhline environment

When giving feedback it is important to be clear and direct. It is also important for the students to understand that feedback goes bothways.

not being face to face interaction with students needs much more support and feedback in the online enviroment than in a traditional course. 

Online teaching requires you to interact and communicate with students in different ways then in F2F teaching. There are different ways in communicating with students online S2C, S2I, and S2S. Online Instructors must also establish communication boundaries. 

Sign In to comment