Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Same assessment method on ground with the addition of model answer and immediate feedback. Very useful and very helpful with the students' morale and immediate gratification from their hard work.

SYLLABUS

The word syllabus comes from the Greek word sittyba for a parchment label. In the English language the world syllabus made its debut in 1656, referring to a table or index in a book, but later, in 1889 the term had entered academic circles and was being used to describe the subjects of a series of lectures.”Ref.:elib.bsu.by› bitstream

A syllabus conveys information about expectations. It is crucial then that the terms of the contract are clear and students know what is expected of them. The syllabus lays out your expectations for the quality of work you expect from your students and shows students how they should prepare for class.

How To Make The Syllabus Engaging

Since the syllabus contains a lot of policy related items that may not be all that interesting to students, you may want to take a few extra steps to spice up your syllabus. Weimer (2011) suggests posing some questions in the course description that pique students’ curiosity about the subject. Explain to students that they will be able to answer these questions throughout the quarter as they complete the assignments and engage with the course materials. In the instructor biography, say a few words that show your passion for the subject and your excitement about teaching.

For more information on how to spice up your syllabus or how to use a syllabus, please check out the a few Faculty Focus articles listed below.

References:

1. Bart, M. (2015). A Learner Centered Syllabus Helps Set The Tone For Learning. Retrieved from http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-classroom-management/a-learner-centered-syllabus-helps-set-the-tone-for-learning/

2. Cunliff, E. (2015). Tonic for the boring syllabus. Retrieved from http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-classroom-management/tonic-for-the-boring-syllabus/.

3. Weimer, M. 2011 What Does Your Syllabus Say About Your Course. Retrieved from http://info.magnapubs.com/blog/articles/teaching-professor-blog/what-does-your-syllabus-say-about-you-and-your-course/

Course components, chats, quizzes 

Allows students to work at their own pace and doesn't' hold students back. 

The use of quizzes allows for learners an opportunity to learn the course content and have an assessment of what they learned. 

A syllabus should be included to provide the students with a roadmap of where to go, what is expected, how they will be graded, etc. The course lectures, discussions, and quizzes/tests are all used to provide knowledge, assess, and evaluate the knowledge. Take into consideration that some revision and tweaking is often needed to turn a traditional F2F course into a hybrid or fully online course. This requires quite a bit of planning and work on the front end, however, frees the instructor up to really engage with the students and work toward deeper learning.

Course Structure must be on point with online classes to be able to maintain students on the same page, especially before being assess.

I agree with giving students opportunities to make mistakes on quizzes helps them do better on exams to yield a fair final grade.

I was interested in the unlimted quiz attempts.  In our courses the attempts are limited, but the score goes towards the final grade. I am curious as to how an unlimited attemot would affect the students success in the course.

Curious as to why the recommendation to only allow one attempt on an exam when this very online course allows a retake?

Using synchronous chat for discussions may be an effective approach to student engagemen.

Good tip to classify discussion questions as assignments.

I wonder about the notion of using other lectures that are previously established by others. From my experience, there are multiple, valuable lectures on many subjects available online, and gathering them together instead of reinventing them can be really valuable.

One of the ideas I would like to incorporate in my class is the use of quizzes. The quiz could be used to clarify different components of teh lesson and they could be taken multipe times thus reinforcing the materials.

I don't agree with the multiple attempts on quizzes (unless they are part of a non-graded assessment or part of a discussion board). At the end of the day, assessments are there to gauge the student performance as well as provide insight to the instructor to see if changes need to be made in order to provide the optimum experience for students. 

I have made the mistake of creating quizzes that needed to be manually graded and then got lost in the shuffle. I like that this course stresses the importance of timely responses and being aware of what can be graded immediately, so as to provide immediate feedback to the student.

I have learned that is is so important to structure the assessments in order to increase concept attainment.

Develop additional instructional material and feedback based on productive discussions to simulate learning expereinces relevant to learning.

On line learning teach students to be on their own mostly. They pay more attention in reading, to comprehent logically and think critically.

Reply to ROSEMARY QUINN's post:

I agree. Quizes are the best way to check the students' knowledge about a subject. It can be give to students for fun too.

I try not to overload students with assignments and dues. In fact, I like to make it something pleasure for them to do. For example, I would watch a vide together and meanwhile, I will explain. Then, I would forward the same video and would ask students to watch it on theri own and write me a reporat of what they wathced. Then, I will compare therir writings to see if they understood the subject correctly or not.

Sign In to comment