Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Kenia Nunez's post:

I like your idea. Yes, they learn on their mistakes. And, hopefully, they retain the correct answers.

Students need to spend some time in order to learn. After all, they are all by themselves and as you know, a lot of distraction are while studying from home.

Practice quizzes (pre-test quizzes) help student to know what area they should focus on.

This module discussed important considerations for various types of learning activities when teaching online.  I appreciated the idea of allowing students to take quizzes multiple times until they achieve a perfect score so they can learn from their mistakes.  It also helped me realize the importance of providing immediate feedback after exams to clarify the reasoning to students so they can incorporate correct thinking patterns.  The links to the appendices with examples of online syllabi and lessons was a helpful resource.

I learned that the constant evaluation of everything that the student learns within the course, strengthens his rhythm and raises his morale.

Retomamos la respuesta base:  es importante un profesor bien organizado.  Eso incluye creación de contenidos, actividades y evaluaciones alineadas al curso.

quizzes andself checks can be identifiers of weaknesses and strengths

The importance of the lesson is the online course content and its learning achievement through quizzes, test and exams. This is a medular aspect of the course outine content.

Love the idea of giving the students unlimited attempts for quizzes so that they really learn the material. Also contemplating the possibility of having different projects for grading because people learn in different ways.

I thought the online lecture formats were interesting...Direct Delivery - Problem Solving - Graphic Based.  Discussion and chats are critical for student collaboration and I will use them.

In this lesson I learned the various kinds of lecture formats:

Expository

Suspenseful answer

problem solving

case study

interactive

This module is about the components or parts of a course- outcomes, discussion boards, quizzes, etc. and how each part plays a role in the holistic learning of a student.

I learned quite a lot on content, assignments, and lectures while reading the 5 appendixes. They are great resources as I move forward with building the online courses. 

Quizzes and other evaluations are a great way for students to find out what they don't know so they can make sure to learn those fine points. 

To combine the different types of lecture formats in order to maintain the students attention. To allow the student more than one attempt to answer a quizz, so that he learns based on what he knows instead of what he does not know.

Offering quizzes to do a quick check to make sure students are comprehending the information being given. 

Allowing students to pace themselves with immediate feedback through quizzes and tests to ensure they are comprehending the material they were expected to learn can be a great motivator. An area of concern can be for those that are not as self-motivating or tend to procrastinate as this will lead to last-minute decisions and not a true reflection of their learning.

The course syllabus is the foundation component of the course with setting expectations, grading, learning activities, etc.  Students need a 'road map' of those expectations aligned weekly, by modules, etc. Along with self checks with learning, there needs to a connection to the learning objectives and course competencies.

One of the complaints I hear from students is their frustration of the lack of feedback they get from their teachers.  I appreciated the focus on reviewing answers with students to address issues and build confidence.  I also like the emphasis on being clear in the what and why of an assignment.  Relevance and clarity is important to all of us!

This brought back memories of designing and revising courses. In my current position, courses are updated via a learning community (a group comprised of the instructors that teach the course). There is also standardization with the module format of the various courses so that students know what to expect when they enter the classroom. This makes the process far easier for those of us who revise and create courses.

Nancy Tosh

Sign In to comment