Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Overview/Characteristics | Origin: ED322

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Student Overview/Characteristics

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This is a very real start to this course.

I am intriqued that there are many pros and cons given to our industry supplied with useful solutions.

As culinary instructors, we have the opportunity to engage with eclectic age groups and experiance levels. This is one of the challenges of training in the culinary environment; however, the satisfaction of helping a culinary team come together is great.

As a food service instructor, I have the opprtunity to help food service students to follow different ways of nutrition  or  culinary art fields. Like James said it is very satisfactory help others.

Teaching culinary arts, striving to become a better teacher, and thinking about different ways to explain a recipe or a concept have had the wonderful side-effect of helping me become a better cook along the way.  Figuring out how to get your students to understand a dish, or a technique, or a concept forces you to look at things in different ways too. 

The reading gave me a moment to reflect on my teaching methods and strategies.  How do I introduce the class to the Culinary World?  Do I consider their background and how they were raised before delving into my course?  Do I even ask about their habits and how that will effect their experience?  Thinking about this generation X and how they learn and process knowledge gained is important to my teaching.  I want to start out my class addressing all of these questions and more to help them understand why, what I'm teaching, is important.  

Good points made in the reading.  Thinking of others and how they learn and how their previous experiences affect their learning.  These types of reflection help make us better instructors.  

I found the descriptions of the Gen X, Y, and Boomers gave me perspective on the differences in the learning styles and motivations of diverse learners.  And, YES, we can influence work ethic and professional behaviors.

I really like the discussion about how the different generations approach a job.  I wish there was a section talking about younger students.

I really appreciated the explanations of learning styles within the generations. I also would like to ensure that my students take being in uniform seriously and know that cleanliness is not an option. 

I enjoyed reading this section of the course.  I learned that some students have thought about joining culinary school for a while, while others sought out culinary school because of food tv shows. I hope that I can continue to set realistic expectations for my students regarding working in a kitchen and help them understand the daily tasks of any chef.

The differences between the generations was known to me, however; they are very much exposed in this chapter

The learning styles between generations are quite distinct and require attention. It is unfortunate that food media blurs the distinction between a job description and what it means to be a Chef.

The practial aspects of culinary arts are explored here.  One can not just get into a kitchen and cook there's a lot more behind the scenes work that goes into culinary arts than meets the eye and instructors should make students aware of this so that they will be well prepared for a potetnial career in the food service industry. 

Embracing the kinesthetic learners, but realize they are visual learners, too.  Modeling work ethic is important.  Reinforcing team outcomes to Gen X.

I think this is a very informative course! I am learning that there are different ways to approach each generation of culinary learners/students! The food media industry does have a intense roll in influcing the next generation of chefs but it most certainely is not the best example for students to use when it comes to the fantasy of the industry. Students should have several avenues to the instructors information becasue they are kinesthetic leaners. Demostration and reinforcing powerpoints are a great tool for progressive learning. 

It's amazing how students from different generations learn, receive and retain information so differently! In a classroom where there may be students from multiples generatings, the instructor may have to alter their teaching style and techniques to suit everyone as best as possible. Very cool to learn that and something I've witnessed first had in my classes; some things I have to repeat verbally, other things I write physically, etc. Embracing different learning strategies definltly helps create an effective education.

Focus on tactile learning g while being cognizant of other types of learners! Explain the realities of kitchen life without scaring the students away!

Good Start - as a new instructor, understanding how you want to instruct, and who youre audience is and how they think will prove helpful for me.  Unsterstanding the work ethic needed for culinary school through the students thought process.  Knocking off bad habits - home kitchen vs commercial kitchen.  Allowing them to understand the changes in the atmostphere around them will prove helpful in the long run.

Being an instructor for a few years, I have come across a lot of the points mentioned.  I have learned that it's important to understand the backgrounds of my students and the motivation for them to come to school.  The description of generations was interesting, and gives more insight into the thought process of some older students and how they can better work with younger students.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities