Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being a new instructor after owning my own restauraunt for several years, I feel that this gives good insight on how ages and cultures can determine a students thought process on demonstrations, flavor profiles and the grading system.  It is also a good reminder whether good or bad on how the T.V. CelebrityC hef has influenced our industry.

I have learned that it is important to be adaptable to different age groups. Each group has their strengths and so if you have an understanding of them it is easier to convey information and increase retention of course material. It was also interesting to see how different age groups have learned about cooking and the industry.

It was interesting to consider generational differences with students and how they each adapt. I appreciate the module speaking to the glamorization of being a chef and the importance of discussing industry realities of long work days and stressful conditions. 

Our current environment is quite different than when I started teaching in 2003. This section was a great insight into the younger student demographics. I will be using some of the information in this section to guide me. 

I think they did a great job of summing up how different people learn weather generationally or where they've come from in the world. But I hope individuals take away that not everyone can be painted with the same brush and everyone learns, and executes differently

Being a pastry instructor, has really made me aware of how students want to follow the recipe and baking time exacting and that is not have baking works.  I always tell them it's done when it's done because everyone's oven is different.  Even having different brands of ingredients makes a recipe turn out differently so they want to know the techinques and process behind the recipe not just the recipe.

So far, this is a great course to understand the different ways students learn. It is a learning process for the instructors as well; there are so many ways to teach and it's important to be flexible in our styles and delivery. Age groups, cultures and technological advances all play a part in how we understand food and each other.  The group environment of a classroom is priceless for the students and instructors.

After teaching career focused culinary arts for many years it was refreshing to read about motivating factors for students to start thier education espaecially for a field that has many varied opertunities but also has alot of percieved views of what the students outcome in the field will be after they finish thier training. Success in the culinary field will depend on factors that are universal, hard work some luck and alot of dedication. 

Taking a moment to reflect and look back on a students past history with food i believe is great start to their culinary career. Asking a student what foods they have tried and in what manner do they like to consume their foods is a jumping off point to what might be some of their interests in the kitchen. 

Being a new Instructor this course is beneficial in producing a teaching style. There is information herein that gives a new perspective on being an instructor. Having come out of the industry, it is important to be able to get the topics across in a way the students will understand. 

The opening module of this course reinforces the differences in learning styles and the need for a constantly flexible approach.  This is simultaneously necessary to maintain motivation, discipline, and sense of urgency in the kitchen.  Each generation that has entered the culinary field has experienced differences in preferences and technology.  Instructors and students alike must have the end in mind: satisfying the guest.

It is really important to know how to construct your class around your students and their background, different generation and how to approach them for the class to be as smooth as possible. And also to show them the reality how the job, what is it to be in a kitchen and all the tasks going with the position.

It was helpful in this lesson to have a breakdown of the various age groups students an instructor might encounter. The tips on how to approach various student at various stages in their lives and different background shows that teaching is a highly engaging skill that requires cooperation and constant practice. Our jobs as instructors is to prepare ourselves as best as possible to create a learning environment accommodating all learning types and backgrounds.

The topics mentioned so far are also addressed in the text I use for my high school culinary class. I'm encouraged to know that I've been on the right track. 

I appreciate the explanation of generational learning styles. 

Many Great Points in this reading and I will definitely be thinking more on how to help them better receive the information that is being taught.

Being a new instructor it was very important for me to read how student need to be kept motivated and how to trigger their interest.  Understanding their backgrounds and the different age groups is fundamental to find the right way to communicate with everyone of them. 

Each generation brings its own set of experiences, preferences, and learning styles, which have influenced the various forms of teaching in the kitchen. The educational landscape is constantly evolving, and the preferences and attitudes of the newest generation of students may differ from those of previous generations.

Students will approach their food studies from a variety of backgrounds and come prepared with a diverse range of skillsets.

The generational differences was eye opening to me.  We see it and often comment "that's this generation", but looking at their motivations gives us perspective.  Maybe changes how we approach problems or tasks relating to these differences.

While it is true that different generations may Learn differently & have different priorities for their accademic experiences, this does not apply to specific individuals, there are exceptions to this & we should engage each student individually.

I think that an ionstructors Honesty as it applies to our experiences in the industry can make a discussion about the insustry, the hours, salary(ies), expectations & the culture of the kitchen more engaging for the student- This is the type of information they cant find in a book 

Discipline in the classroom is set & exemplified by the instructor.

Being a Pastry Chef & Instructor Following the formulas is the first important step to seeing a recipe to its successful completion, this is just one example of how a student can be disciplined ( their ability to follow instructions) But this same topic lends itself to many qualities which a student will need to become & remain employed - this has to be part of the kitchen/ class culture

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities