Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Engagment

WHat is the best way that you have found works best to engage your students. What exercises tips do you use?

Roadmap to Culinary & Hospitality Success | Origin: ED322

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Roadmap to Culinary & Hospitality Success

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Lab Courses | Origin: ED322

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Lab Courses

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Culinary General Education Courses | Origin: ED322

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Culinary General Education Courses

Student Overview/Characteristics | Origin: ED322

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Student Overview/Characteristics

Best Magazines and apps for budding Chefs

I very much like the websight nutritiondata.self.com I am interested in apps or magazines which you all think would be benificial for soon-to be- but -not -yet-chefs- thanks

Student pay perceptions

I deal with this topic on occasion. Students want to know how much money they are going to make when they become"Chef of the World"! I like to assign students a project where they are required to research different career paths within culinary arts. Job requirements, qualifications, and salary, are all topics to be researched.

Encouraging student safety and Sanitation

The use of interactive games and assigning projects where the student in supervised, can be useful in the teaching of good Saftey & Sanitation habits.

General Education and Culinary education

Chef instructors must be able to incorporate some core GE concepts to their class. Writting menus, reports, and banquet prospectous all require good grammer and punctuation skills.

Generation X

Some of generalizations regarding generation X I do not agree with. Yes, some students due need constant reminding that they are doing well. While the majority of students from this generation I have found to be very independent and sophisticated.

holiday activities

What are some holiday activities you work into the class?

math

What types of math projects have you found useful?

Go back to go forward

I grew up 1/2 years in Spain where there are a lot of 'old world' ideas about food. I find that when students are trying to stay focused on what is trendy they are focusing on the wrong thing. What works the best are the standards. If you open a restaurant and paint the walls green because that is the trend, you will have to repaint the walls. If you cook food that is trendy, at some point you will need to revisit the classics.

Making it factual

find a basic description of the cooking methods and keep it handy so that the critique is not subjective.

Integration of in-class projects

We have a menu project that is supposed to be exclusive to one class. However, we have found that by involving other instructors and the general ed instructors the students have a better and more well rounded understanding of the subject matter.

When in doubt...

I have usual conversations in class about the technical execution of food. I find that it is highly relevant to keep a copy of Escoffier handy so that we can have a discussion that is based in fact. I find that the students have a better reaction to what I have to say if they know that it is not my opinion that I am giving them.

Continuing education

I have found that if you take the extra time to show the studnet by different examples and if you pull from many different sources and come up with a thread that is similar to the studnet you are able to showt that keeping in touch with the current trends and continuing your education outside of class is very important.

Grades

with regards to the student how do you assess them everyday without calling them out - grades are good but how do you help the student who knows the information but does not test well

Leading by example

I often find that if you just lead by example the studnet will often follow.

teaching

I also find espically with the Gen X and Gen Y group of students that it is best to repete and talk to what you are doing during the demonstrations
Related Learning Opportunities