Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Love the bingo card idea. Best for fundamentals students!

This module presented examples of creative learning activities that we could use in a clinical setting, to help students learn.  I liked that there were a variety of examples available, for different students and different settings.

I like the gesture idea and will implement that. I also like the event card idea for slower days and the BINGO.  This will help me

I learned that "event cards" can provide critical-thinking scenarions allowing the isntructor to reinforce any weak areas if needed. I can make some "event cards" and give it to patients in lab courses where they are applying the content learned in the didactic course. 

I love the three dots, it is somewhat similar to our Clinical passport but this give us day to day picture of clinical skills acquired by each students. 

I like all these ideas though some are not doable due to number of patients, etc. Though I will definitely always use the staff surprises at post-conference.

I plan to utilize the "event cards" suggestion with my upcoming clinical group as well as "staff surprises" (best and worst observed) - we will vote at end of term from all examples throughout term!

I really like the suggestions given in this course, especially the dots.  I plan to use this method in my clinical rotation.

The Event Cards are a great idea to help with critical thinking.  Also the Dots, especially when I have a student who is not interacting with their CI.  I can adapt this exercise to get them to ask more questions, consult with the CI on treatment prior to the session and interact with the CI when a patient's status has changed.  

New ideas to implement for introducing course content

This module provided great ideas for the clinical setting.  I like the event cards activity a slow day, dots on the watch to keep track of the student's task and patient bingo for the beginner students.

The ideas suggested are great! as you stated it is very difficult to be monitor of group of students all at once. 

I can use most of these ideas, however the 3 dots and stickers will teach the best time management skills and gives me an opportunity to multi task just walking down the hall.

Nonverbal forms of communication is a great idea in the clinical setting. This gets your message across to the student without alerting or alarming the patient and their family, as well as save the student from embarrassment. 

I gathered a couple of really useful ideas.  Being new to the whole teaching role I believe the hand gestures are a really good idea, the last thing I would want to do is create added anxiety for the patient(s) and/or family my student is working on.  Also thinking back to my days when I was in clinicals having the cards ready in case it is really a day where there is not a lot happening on the unit is a great way to engage your students, in my clinical days the student nurses were just free labor for the nurses on the units.  The dots is an interesting and very visual way to ensure your students are accomplishing tasks that they need to, and in a timely manner

There are several great ideas to assist clinical teaching methods in this course.

I love the red, blue, and green dot idea.  However, I could also see some student being dishonest with the dots.

I learned that different methods can be used in clinical to increase knowledge. 

For example, bingo card can be used and it is filled by the students each time they observed anything on a patient, like iv, or dressing, scar, etc. 

The cards can be used to offer fast way for critical thinking scenarios that that the instructor can give to the students in a clinical setting that will let students be active in learning 

Comment on Renita Cash's post

Martha this was a new information for me as well. I am planning to incorporate this in my clinical

Sign In to comment