Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In order to have a cohesive working relationship, each member should have identified roles, responsibilities, and expectations. It also impotant for evaluations to be performed and documented by student and evaluator. I plan to incorporate this by having weekly self-reflection discussions with the student learner and ask for input from the external organization on the student's performance. 

Internships are essential to a student future success. Both the student and supervisor should keep track of work performed and hours worked. There should be an open environment for feedback, communication, and questions.

Keeping track of the clinical time is relative and giving feedback of the experience is paramount.

Evaluation of the internship is essential to determine is any future changes are needed to be more beneficial for student success.

To ensure an educational experience, students should keep a diary about their time in the internship, as well as evaluations of themselves and their experience in the workplace. 

By having the intern keep journal entries and writing a paper at the end of the internship allows all involved to see what works or doesn't work as well as to get a perspective of what the intern's thoughts on the company are.  I know of someone who interned at an oil company (paid) and actually ended up going to work for the company.  It was the first time that knew of someone getting paid (and they paid him very well), and he was able to see the day to day workings and get an understanding of what his position would entail.

Comment on Michael Mitchell's post

I agree with you Michael. Feedback plays a vital role. Similarly, providing clear objectives and step by step by instructions about how to meet these objectives are also  crucial.

Comment on Karen Vaickus's post

This should be a building time for the employer and intern/employee to establish trust and respect.  Address the expectations for ER/EE with expected outcomes.  It could very well be a great opportunity for the student to begin a career path when the ER can approve recognized contributions that are mutual and that the student is a good fit for the company or establishment.  

Internships are opportunities that are very important and should be taken advantage of. However, it must be stressed to the person doing the internship how the prospect can help them get hired with the company but it's not a guarantee. 

Documentation is one of the important component of learning. One can review what was done and be able to go through it to practice and be proficient until it becomes the norm for his/her activities.

To ensure that an internship is an academic experience and provides valuable learning opportunities for students, educators can establish learning objectives, have regular check-ins, assign academic projects, facilitate peer discussions and evaluate learning outcomes.

Ensure that the "intern" is exposed to and able to perform specific and relatable tasks during their time on site.

The Final self evaluation helps the student to identify the goals they achieve.

Post-internship feedback is important to ensure that all objectives are met and the program has been effective from the student's point of view as well as the employer's.

It is important for the institution to know what the student is gaining from their internship and to follow up as necessary.

It's very important to have students and business partners sign contracts and agreements so that students can feel like they are being held accountable to engaged in the process. 

I have managed nurse intern and externships for over 20 years. It is important to outline the requirements, limitations, and expectations with the student, precpetor and organization with each and every profram start. Internship contracts should specify on-site job responsibilities and learning objectives of students. A special session to address these should take place before beginning the internship and it should serve as a clear starting-point for both the intern site and the interns. 

The reflection aspect is something that I already do with my interns, but the question of how could internship improve would be interesting to propose.

Understanding the rewards from the process and how it lends itself to a fuller and happier work environment.

Sign In to comment