Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Feedback and clear objectives are very valuable!

I like idea of the end-of-internship paper and presentation.  That helps make it more academic.  The weekly journal also elevates it to an academic endeavor while providing the employer valuable feedback.  

Having a contract and expectations for all involved at the get is very important.  Everyone involved should have a clear understanding of the goals and objectives for the internship program.  Everything needs to be covered; from how to contact you, to what to do in an emergency, and making sure interns visit prior to first day (and know where the bathroom is and where they will eat lunch). Trust me, high school students will not ask these two things, but it is weighing heavily on their mind!  Also, having easy to understand forms for evaluation and check in is essential, as is journaling the experience.  You as the instructor cannot be there every moment and need to continue a dialogue with the student.

Objectives are important to any degree program. Having clear objectives and monitoring of progess is vital to any students success

Frequent feedback is necessary for a positive internship outcome.

If you have not documented, you did not do it.  

There must be an open communication between the intern and the supervisor.

Reflection, record-keeping of experiences, and self-assessments are vital to a meaningful and successful internship.

Documentation is very important between the Intern and the sponsor and or supervisor. There needs to be a final paper and project for the Intern and also let his peers and supervisor evaluiate their final project. Open discussion is very important.

I liked how students should keep a journal or diary of their expierence. But infortunately I think due to large class sizes and time constraints, this seems like busy work for students/educators when it is in fact valuable and I beleive could also hold the students more accountable at their internship site.

What this section has made clear to me is the importance of the mentor and dedictation to the intern experience for the student.

I like the idea of students completing a written intern paper and self-/program evaluation and presentation.

Communication & proper documentation of hours are key when it comes to a successful internship experience. 

An organization providing an internship should have the affiliate school or oraganization as well as the intern on board to understand the guidlines and objective of the internship. The goals to be reached, as well as a base to make sure the intern gets the most out of their intenship backed by good note taking and exposure to many facits of thier projected carreer. This will be benificia for the potential company should they choos to hire the intern, as well a good base for the intern to start with should they be hire. Win, Win. 

"An effective internship program requires effective forms and processes. These help to ensure that all parties are aware of their roles and responsibilities."

It is important to ensure all documentation is completed so determine if the internship met the goals and objectives and to also make any changes for future interns if needed.

It is very important to ensure the entire internship is effective and of value.

I will take extra time to ensure ongoing assessment and reflection is taking place when facilitating preceptorships for advanced classes

Documentation is important to make sure that the students are meeting the requirements from their intern experience.  It is also vitsl to monitor student's participation and number of hours they are receiving to meet their requisites.

Assessment and evaluation of the internship is important.  Were all the objectives met is a key consideration.

Seeing what the student has learned over the course of their experience is a valuable tool for them to see the skills they have developed so the logs or journal are very important.

Sign In to comment