Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Service Learning is a great way for student to give back to their communities

We had our student work with the American Red Cross, signing in donors, walkers, and working the canteen table.  They were able to interact with the public and assist with an organization.  They were very excited to participate in this activity.  

Evaluation is important for the students because it shows what they have learned during their experience and how it has benefited the community.

Students and community members both benefit from community service work.  It is important to get and give feedback to make sure the project is meeting their needs.  Evaluation of the project is key, and can be accomplished in a variety of ways, such as weekly emailed responses.  

I do a night welding class that is open to the public on Thursday nights and it is not a graded class but rather just one that you can just pass or fail by not showing up. It is pretty fun knowing that as long as the student try's they are going to pass.

Summative evaluation as well as student self-evaluation and feedback is an important part of the service learning process. Also, results of the site surveys are essential to determine what is working and what needs to be reviewed and/or revised.

Evaluations throughout the service learning experience is an important aspect of a service-learning program. The idea of pass/fail is already something I employ with my interns, and I think it is an effective way to grade this kind of work. 

Evaluate the site and the students frequently to make modifications as needed.

I think my students can apply service learning to the visits we make to various animal facilities. Those 3 questions are fantastic to motivate the students. Bringing back the things learned in service learning help build pride in the facility they attend not just one of the numbers.

Sign In to comment