Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Service Learning | Origin: ED121

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Service Learning Opportunities for Students --> Understanding Service Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

THROUGH SERVICE LEARNING WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF FORMING BETTER PROFESSIONALS AND BETTER PERSONS FOR THE COMMUNITY.

IN ADDITION TO THIS IT SENSIBILIZES THE COMMUNITY TOWARDS THE WORK AND VALUE OF THE SCHOOL AND STUDENTS THAT ARE PREFORMING ESSENSIAL WORK THAT ARE VERY NEEDED IN THE COMMUNITY.

IT ALSO INTEGRATES THE SHOOL, THE SYUDENTS AND THE COMMUNITY INTO SELECTING AND IDENTIFYING THE NEEDS AND THEN STABLISHING PROGRAMS TO IMPLEMENT THE SOLUTIONS TO THOSE NEEDS, THEREFORE, INTEGRATING ALL INTO THE PLANNIG AND IMPROVE THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THESE PROGRAMS.

THROUGH SERVICE LEARNING WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF FORMING BETTER PROFESSIONALS AND BETTER PERSONS FOR THE COMMUNITY.

Research supports that service learning increases the likelihood that students will engage in pro-social behavior, while decreasing their participation in at-risk behavior

The coordination between admin, faculty, and community to meet and benefit from student educational / career goals is key to overall success. 

Service lerning project can be set up so that students can choose from various options as opposed to be assigned.

A much quicker and higher level of student involvement occurs when faculty promote service learning.

Service learning provides a connection to the student and the community.  Allows student growth and involvement

Thjis integrates all aspects of the school by adding facuty, admin and students for the servoce learning opportunities .

Encompassing all aspects of the school and students to focus on a goal.

Students should have a say in the service learning that they will participate in the community.  They should do so as it will make them more vested in the long term and it will help them in potential job opportunities as adults.  We have to remember we are preparing the students to be life long learners and contributing members of socieity.  It is a good idea to provide some ideas for service learning opportunities based on the subect that is being taught.  That way you don't have a student taking dogs for a walk when they are taking a cooking class.  The two don't corelate.  

The more students are seen out in the community doing positive things, the better the interactions they will have with adults who normally see them as “trouble” and it will also increase their chances to get hired at a job

There are SO many different opportunities for service learning - it can serve as an amazing way to help students take more pride in themselves and their community - something that is much needed now days. The idea of helping them switch their mindset from that where everything is handed to them, to one where they go out and seek to make things better, is life changing.

It is important to choose sites that will help the students meet their learning goals, as Kara mentioned above, the service learning opportunities need to tie into and enhance what the students learn in class.  It is their opportunity to apply that knowledge to real-life situations and see how that knowledge can make a positive difference in their community.  I also appreciated the advice to allow the students to be involved in deciding where they would like to serve.  This will improve student buy-in and the likelihood that they will find the experience meaningful and valuable.

Once again, I have learned more about developing service learning opportunities and promoting service learning to faculty, students, and the community.

While I knew and have seen the positive effects that service learning has on participating students and faculty, I never thought about personal  branding nor knew about ROI.  I am going to include those concepts into our Service Learning Handbook.  These are also an important concepts to share with faculty.  

The examples of service learning projects that were provided have made think about extending our service learning opportunities to the health and exercise programs that we provide.

This is getting my juices flowing and invigorating my plans for service learning.

i think its time to think outside of our shop mybe look at some farms that maybe we could get our students to do some welding projects for and to help out some of our community that needs a little extra help

The benefits list is almost endless. From the classroom learning, to the community. I think it allows the students to take ownership of their learning becuase they are held responible to what they attempt.  I also think it helps the students develop social and professional skills. 

Creating relationships with intended institutions is very vital to a students gowth.

I'm psyched to know I've essentially been teaching a service learning course! I never realized it had a category in education, and I've had many students say they learn the most from my service learning class, since it's a combination of relevant curriculum and industory client work community members wouldn't have access to.

Service learning is a way to help students reflect on their service, expand empathy, build self confidence, strengthen social responsibility, recognize personal values and beliefs, and use critical thinking skills.

Sign In to comment