Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supporting Students with PTSD | Origin: ED130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder --> Supporting Students with PTSD

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I am already mindful of the possibility of students with PTSD and/or TBI attending my classes because I have a large number of Veterans attending.  I didn't know about IEP's or how they could help assess a more friendly learning environment for these individuals.  I'm not sure if the VA assists these service members in this way, but now I know enough to ask about it.

This gave a great insight that PTSD students need accommodations to have effective perfo. It also explains about IEP.

This section provided very useful information about how to provide accomidations for students with PTSD. Being in a high school, these students would most likely have an IEP, but at the college level they would not have an IEP, but still some sort of accomidation. 

The importance of accommodations.  The need to study and know what a student's IEP says and what a student's 504 Plan accommodates.

the need to help peolple lead a productive life and working around the conditions that inhibit their learning abilities without singling them out and making them a productive member of society with a job that they can make a living and be proud of their accomplishments

IEPs can be valuable resources to instructors as they show what accommodations and resources were helpful in the learning success of the student.

I learned that there are specific civil rights law that are for the

benefit of the disabled.

Other than the specific statistical numbers I was already familiar with most of the information presented.

I am the 504 coordinator at our school so I am knowledgeable about the 504 and IEP process. I did really appreciate that even though a person cannot have an IEP past high school, it's important that they speak with their instructors and let them know the accommodations they have received in high school.

I'm curious about the diagnosis of students at an early age with PTSD. In a different training I attended recently, it was discussed that the label may be premature for students and families to accept - let alone accommodate. If students are in retraumatizing enviornments, realizing they have limited options may be less valuable than assisting them in being resilient. I'm curious the process for the diagnostic.

I taught SpEd for 6 years so I am familiar with IEP's, 504's and accommodations, but it is nice to see this information being taught in an easily understandable manner 

It is interesting to view IEPs as a tool for student \s even after they have graduated high school. I like the thought that it can be helpful ot them in identifying strategies that helped them be successful.

Students with a Disability are provided legal protections under IDEA while in School and under Section 504 both during and after completion of High School. An IEP or 504 Plan provides specific Accommodations, Modifications, and Supports that Professors and Teachers are required to provide to help students with a Disability be successful. 

This section clarified that accommodations must be made but to at the loss of rigor of the program.  The statistics were alarming. New knowledge was about Education for all. handicapped child Act Pl 94-142 where an individual educational plan must be on record for each student. The poverty rate of 11% was disheartening as they struggle with daily life in poverty. 

It is becoming clear as I go through these modules that early intervention and health promotion activities for families are paramount to reduce the number of children who will to succumb to trauma based on their environment.  

On a personal note, my nephew was hit by a school bus, flew up into the air, and hit his head. I do not recall my sister talking about an individual plan for him.  His behavior changed and he was labeled bad.  He had mood swings and could not retain content.  This knowledge would have helped me advocate for him, but I was not a nurse at the time and did not have a clue.

I was not aware of the K-12 IEP's but pretty familiar with 504 accommodations.  This information was very helpful

Great to know the IEP. It surely can help students in their future endeavor and success.

This module was very helpful in ways to help students with special needs, help the to feel confortable, fit, and understanding the best ways to help them in their learning process and social skills. Complying with ADA and, emphaty, emphaty, emphaty

This module highlighted the importance of the IEP.  Identifying and properly addressing an individual's needs is vital.  The IEP is the agreement that assures necessary services will be put into place.

We need to accomendate the student with there learning in the class. 

Sign In to comment