Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

IEPs can help students succeed

This module explained the importance of following an IEP or 504 plan and the legal oblications for educators to accommodate students to best meet their individual needs. The part that resonated most with me was the idea that veterans may be new to disability and that a mentor can be a strong advocate to help them transition into post-secondary education. My experience is in K-12, so I have taught many students who receive special education services but I have not taught students who are new to disability, the way that a veteran might be. This was illuminating to me and made me think about all of the 504s that I have seen to address developing conditions. It's important for teachers to consider the impact of a new diagnosis in addition to the barriers that this condition may create for students. 

Accomodating student learning with disorders like PTSD or TBI is essential in their success and our success as instructors. 

It is important to be aware of the PTSD symptoms.

Apply effective communication, open up opportunities to support a team based environment

When someone registers for courses, they are asked if they have any disabilities. Students with any disabilities have an IEP created in order to help the instructor know the type of DX and best learning techniques that could help them. 

I learned more information about people with disabilities and how to help them. IEPs are fairly new to me, but it was great information to have just in case. This will truly benefit the students and their success.

There is a difference between a 504 Plan and an IEP. The IEP only follows the student until they graduate 12th grade or reach the age of 21. The 504 Plan can help them with college accomodations

I learned the importance of accommodations and the impact they will make on the students.  

Personally, I was not aware of the IEP developmental plan students had available for them in their younger educational years.  What a wonderful tool for the educational program to have developed.  It's was emotional overwhelming to know the statistics of these younger children to have developed PTSD.  As an educator for adults, I appreciated knowing this information and how it can impact how I approach my students and teaching skills. 

Sign In to comment